What size cooler would I need if I wanted to mash/sparge....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamoore

Reaction score
...12 pounds of grain with 4 to 5 gallons of water? I'm going to go cooler shopping this weekend, and I'll be looking for a rectangular one....

How much space (in quarts) is the average pound of grain?

Thanks.

This is a sticky in the equipment forum:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

mltsizetable.gif

You should also think about your method of sparging. If your batch sparging then it's no big deal. But if your fly sparging then the depth of the grain bed is very important. 10-12 Lbs in a large (10 gal) rectangular cooler makes for a very thin grain bed and this can be a problem with a fly sparge. SO the tall skinny coolers are prefered hence the popularity of the round beverage style coolers. Just something to consider.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll be batch sparging for 6 gallon boil sizes.... Hoping to get it all done in two runoffs...

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll be batch sparging for 6 gallon boil sizes.... Hoping to get it all done in two runoffs...

In that case the 10 gallon rectangular will give you some good versatility to make higher gravity beers. Have a look at this site for some great tips on batch sparging

In that case the 10 gallon rectangular will give you some good versatility to make higher gravity beers. Have a look at this site for some great tips on batch sparging

Thanks! I came across that site while I was researching AG brewing. Very helpful! Looks like I'll be looking for the 40 quart cooler. Already bought the braided hose and bulkhead/valve assembly.....

Back