Storing Beer while it is bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonzoAPD

Reaction score
Should the bottles be kept upright when carbonating or is it ok to lay them down? Also, any tricks on keeping the temperature up to 70 degrees? My house is usually in the upper 60s during the winter.

I like to store my bottles upright so that the yeast settles on the bottom. It's easier to avoid pouring the sediment into the glass that way. Also, you might try wrapping the container that holds your bottles in a towel. That could keep the temp more stable and perhaps a few degrees higher.

I don't know if there is a huge difference, but I use O2 absorbing caps so I superstitiously keep them upright. As for the temperature, so long as the temp is stable and not too terribly cold, they will always carb. It may take a while longer, but it will be fine. My basement is around 66 this time of year, and I usually budget 3-5 weeks for conditioning.

I keep mine in the same place I ferment. It stays 68-70 all the time. Now that look at it I wonder why I had a cat hanging in the closet that day?..

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back