New Stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaRooster

Reaction score
Just got my shipment from Midwest. The Fermenting bucket lid sucks because there is no way it is ever going to seal. But everything else looks good.

Promptly sanitized my new 2L flask, made a starter of 1200ml and pitched my WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast. Hope all works out so I can brew an Irish Oatmeal Stout on Saturday!!

Newbie excitement :ban:

Just got my shipment from Midwest. The Fermenting bucket lid sucks because there is no way it is ever going to seal. But everything else looks good.

Promptly sanitized my new 2L flask, made a starter of 1200ml and pitched my WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast. Hope all works out so I can brew an Irish Oatmeal Stout on Saturday!!

So what's wrong w/the lid? You can buy a replacement at H.D. for $3 or so.

Lucky you don't live in BAMA, or you might get a visit from the cops. :)

The lid is very strange and not sure why they would sell it as a fermenter lid. It has a whole drilled for the air lock but it is very shallow and has no rubber seal and in fact will not even attach to the top of the bucket.

I have not been able to find an LHBS within 40 miles, so I order all of my stuff through the internet. My first buckets came from Monster brew and they rock. I wanted a second fermenter.

No worries, it just means I have to bottle the Amber Ale that has been in the primary for 3 weeks and brew another batch. I can't think of a better way to spend my anniversary and veterans day.

Here is a pic of my starter ready to go!

Starter111111.jpg

I get all of my fermenting buckets and lids from Midwest. I like the smaller Ale Pails that they have. I haven't had any problems with them. Give them a shout and they might send you out a replacement. They are good people to do business with.

Does the lid have to seal? It's just there to keep bacteria out. Remember Pasteur's famous experiment: His flask was fully open to air, just bent to keep any direct vertical route for bacteria to fall through, and it's still sterile today.

I'd be more worried about a sealed lid + a plugged airlock = beer on the ceiling. :)

And that's my 100th post.

Almost all new lids suck. It will help to soak the lid in as hot of water as your sink will make for a few minutes. Then get it lined up and use your knee in the center to "snap" it in place. Then comes the joy of tearing it off... That will require some strong fingers...

I agree with the suggestion for the HD replacment lid. They will have a translucent one that looks like the one you have now but it fit on and off MUCH easier. They are .98...

If you do not own an autosiphon you can pick up 2 - 3/8 ID rubber grommets and a few feet of extra hose with an additional lid. Pop 2 holes in 1 lid across from each other, add in grommets. Now you can put your racking cane down 1 hole and some sanitized tubing in the other so that the tubing does not touch the beer. Make a loop in the tubing and blow into it. This will create enough pressure to start the siphon with minnimal effort.

Almost all new lids suck. It will help to soak the lid in as hot of water as your sink will make for a few minutes. Then get it lined up and use your knee in the center to "snap" it in place. Then comes the joy of tearing it off... That will require some strong fingers...

I agree with the suggestion for the HD replacment lid. They will have a translucent one that looks like the one you have now but it fit on and off MUCH easier. They are .98...

If you do not own an autosiphon you can pick up 2 - 3/8 ID rubber grommets and a few feet of extra hose with an additional lid. Pop 2 holes in 1 lid across from each other, add in grommets. Now you can put your racking cane down 1 hole and some sanitized tubing in the other so that the tubing does not touch the beer. Make a loop in the tubing and blow into it. This will create enough pressure to start the siphon with minnimal effort.

The Hot water trick worked, I have the lid on, but it may never come off again :rockin:

Just add a lid opening tool to your next order and taking the lid off is easy. Its like $4-5 and well worth it if you use ale pails.

When I got my kits from MidWest it was hard at first to get them onto the pails.
I used a Rubber Mallet.
After putting them on and removing them several times it got a lot easier, though it still takes a bit of effort, which is fine, I dont want air leaking in.

Don't worry about the lid. There is no requirement for an air tight seal. It's just prevents "stuff" from falling in. Now, realize, without the air tight seal, you may not notice airlock activity. That is ok. It's because the excess Co2 is escaping around the lid instead of through your airlock. It is OK.
Air will not "leak in" Your air lock is proof of that. There is a blanket or CO2 pushing out during fermentation, air cannot come in against that. Unless you have high powered fans blowing on your fermenters, which is a bad idea.

sweet! enjoy the brew!

i'm getting ready to make an irish red with that yeast, it'll be my first time with it. i never really thought about it, but apparently it's the guinness yeast, so it sounds like a good choice for a stout!

sweet! enjoy the brew!

i'm getting ready to make an irish red with that yeast, it'll be my first time with it. i never really thought about it, but apparently it's the guinness yeast, so it sounds like a good choice for a stout!

Wow, very cool I had no idea. I have done zero research on it, but it appears I am going to have a very vigorous fermentation!!

Good luck on the Irish Red :mug:

I just love how a newbie can take one look at the lid on a bucket and be sure it won't seal when he can't even get the lid on. Wait until he gets my age and putting the lids on and taking them off becomes a normal activity and he learns to judge the seal after he sees if the airlock is bubbling. :)

Back