bad bottling bucket/too much headspace solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I tasted a sample of my 7% 90 IBU falconer's flight IPA last night and it was incredible!! I decided to go ahead and bottle. Anyway, my true brew bottling bucket started leaking around the gasket. I decided I had no choice but to put down a towel and bottle as fast as possible. I had a friend helping so in a mad dash I filled a bottle, handed it off to be capped and repeated.

After the ordeal (in which less than a bottle of beer was lost due to leakage but it seemed like a lot at the time) I realized that about 8-10 of the bottles were significantly under filled. I'm talking down to the shoulder! Anyway, I popped the caps of those 8-10 bottles and I took one of the under-fills and used it to top off all the others and then immediately recapped. Good idea??

Also, where can I get a bottling bucket that won't leak? Its frustrating as hell and this is the second bucket i've gone through. first one leaked on the first batch, and this one has lasted maybe 5-6 batches.

Topping the bottles off is no biggie. Some bottling buckets are sensitive to how tight the spigot is tightened. There is a narrow sweet spot. I made all of my buckets with spigots on them, with the spigot lower on the bottling bucket. You may want to try using a different gasket material. The only beer I bottle from a bucket these days are Belgians, everything else is bottled from the keg...

Back