Bad idea to split 1 yeast pack into 2 fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benver

Reaction score
Brewing 13 gallons of a pale ale tonight. I will end up with 6.5 gallons in each carboy. Can I go cheep and buy only 1 pack of yeast and just put half in each fermenter? Is this bad practice?

I have a couple erlenmeyer flasks, and am working on learning the process of making starters moving forward, but I'm not there yet.

S-05 is my yeast strain if that matters.

Thanks!

I'd buy another pack. You'd be massively under-pitching if you didn't. You'll likely end up with some off-flavors, but at the same time it might work out fine if it's not too light of a style. It'd certainly still make beer, but might be the difference between a great brew and a very mediocre one.

Definitely get another pack.

How big are your carboys? 6.5 gallons is zero headspace in most carboys

You will need 3 yeast packs and 3 fermenters if you want to end up with 13 gallons of wort. If you want to have a mess and 10 gallons, go ahead with your plan. They will blow out a bunch of your hard work on the floor.

If you are going to split as-is, you need at least 2 packs. I do this and split among 2x5 gallon batches all the time, with making at least 2 or 3 starters along the way (bumping each one up).

Back