Need some ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djamwolfe

Reaction score
Was at my LHBS tonight and the owner gave me a large bag of grains that was batched wrong.:ban: So here I have a bag with 10# of Belgian pale ale malt and 1# of crystal 60, and I also grabbed 8oz of chocolate malt, wyeast 1084 Irish ale, and 1 oz each of cascade and kent goldings.
I dont know if the hops I picked out are a good combo :confused: so mabye someone will chime in and give me some ideas for tomarrow.

I'd bitter with 3/4 oz. of Cascades, flavor with 3/4 of the goldings at 15 and use the remaining hops at 5 minutes. This will leave the brew on the sweet & malty side.

Isn't pale ale malt a bit less modified than regular pale malt? You may need to do a step decoction . . . .or throw a pound or two of regular pale malt into the mash to help with conversion.

I may be wrong. I know that Briess has a pale ale malt that is a lot less modified than their pale brewer's malt.

This is what I ended up with

10# Dinghams (sp?) Pale ale malt
1# Crystal 60
8oz Chocolate malt

1oz Cascade 6.4%(60)
.5oz Kent Goldings 6%(10)
.5oz Kent Goldings 6% (5)

14qt @ 166 for mash in
held @ 154 for 60min
batch sparged 4gal @ 168

the rest is self explanatory..

had a pre boil grav. of 1.050 and am getting ready to pull it off the burner right now to cool.
I was thinking about possibly adding some lactose at bottling kinda like a sweet stout, but ill wait to decide till than.

sonvolt said:
Isn't pale ale malt a bit less modified than regular pale malt? You may need to do a step decoction . . . .or throw a pound or two of regular pale malt into the mash to help with conversion.

I may be wrong. I know that Briess has a pale ale malt that is a lot less modified than their pale brewer's malt.

I don't think so, at least not to the extent that would really matter. I've used pale ale malt on my last two batches, using a simple single infusion mash, with no troubles.

It's the Breiss Pilsen malt that is less modified than other malts, but the jury is out on whether or not a step mash is necessary with it. I have a quantity of it I plan to try out and see.

When I saw those grains I thought "Saison" or "Belgian Pale Ale", but you would have needed a different yeast.

Back