Stopping Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston Brew Guy

Reaction score
I have a beer that was bottled after 1 month in primary. The FG ended up a little off from the expected FG. I tried everything to restart it, and it did go down some more. It started at 1065 and is now 1020. It was supposed to end at 1016. Through the question I have asked here it appears that my extract had unfermentable sugars in it. Is it possible to stop carbonation in the bottles if after 3 weeks it is carbed? Could I put them in 140 degree water to kill off the yeast, or would that be a bad idea? Is my only option to keep the refrigerated after they are carbed?

you are only off by 4 points, which is very negligable...and 1.020 isn't really bad...I wouldn't bottle anything higher than 1.020...But I have bottled 1.020 without any problems with bottle bombs.

Just go ahead an bottle as normal, and let the carb and condition for 3 weeks @ 70 and everything should be fine...

you could consider not adding priming sugar. It will take longer to carb but it should get there eventually - the yeast will eat up the hard to ferment dextrins and any other residual sugars in time.

I agree with Revvy, nothing to be concerned about treat it as you would any other brew.

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'll just keep them sealed up in cardboard boxes for 3 weeks, then move to the fridge.

Back