pressure ferment and yeast harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StMarcos

Reaction score
I am acquiring the bits to pressure ferment in my 'hemoth. I'll probably start by only keeping a couple of psi going, as I'm mainly looking to keep the pressure above 0, after the ferm is over, avoiding air being sucked back into the fermenter when crash-cooling. This has always been a problem for me.

I've found that it doesn't work very well to harvest the yeast after the ferment is completed, and the trub/yeast is very compacted. I get some yeast out of the dump, but then beer channels through the layer. Things go better if I take some out every other day, starting at about day 4 or so. If I only use a couple of psi, I don't see pressure shock being a problem, but if I do eventually ferment and then carb under higher pressures, it certainly could be. I've seen a recommendation to gradually release pressure after packaging/kegging (any ideas what rate is considered safe?), but then you have a heavily compacted yeast cake that might channel.

Any thoughts on a possible compromise between the two extremes?

Cheers....

To simplify, what is considered a safe rate to depressurize yeast?
Also, is there any way to harvest yeast from a pressure-fermented conical before racking?

Latest posts

Back