Recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogzbone

Reaction score
My wife wanted something light and with a hit of citrus for the summer. I'm not setup for all grain yet so this is an extract recipe. This is what I came up with.

8 oz. Honey Malt
8 oz. Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
3 lbs. Pilsen DME
3 lbs. Golden Light DME

1 oz. Cascade
.5 oz. Amarillo Gold

Wyeast American Ale II (1272)

1 oz. Orange Peel
.5 oz. Cinnamon Stick

We're still debating the cinnamon.

Any tips or suggestions?

Looking forward to your responses!

Looks solid to me, although I might back down on the honey malt (to reduce the sweetness). Is that fresh or dried orange peel? Cinnamon doesn't say summer to me (cinnamon and orange sounds like a fall/winter holiday beer), but I could see it being good.

Not having used a honey malt before, how much sweetness will come out of 8 ounces? Also I'm planning on dry hopping with dried orange peel. I'm gonna take a stab at drying out the orange myself.

I think it adds a distinct wort-like sweetness even around 8 oz. I tend to like drier beers though, it certainly isn't an over-the-top amount.

I'd just use fresh zest, no advantage (that I'm aware of) to drying it yourself. I think 1 oz of fresh zest is a good place to start if you want a lot of orange aromatics, you can always start with less and add more if it needs it.

Back