I just realized I've been overpitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
I always use the Mr. Malty pitching rate calculator, but I was using the wrong inputs:

1. In calculating my batch size, I included the volume added by the starter (when I don't decant). In reality, the starter has already been fermented, so it adds no additional fermentables and should not count towards the batch size.

2. I've been including the volume left behind in my kettle in the batch size. Typically I leave about a quart behind, and the yeast never sees that, so it shouldn't count towards the batch size.

I've been really happy with my beer, so I doubt it made a noticeable difference. I just wanted to get it out there in case others have been making the same mistake. I learn something new every batch.

I don't think I'd sweat that, everything dealing with yeast pitching rates is an approximation anyway. Unless you are pitching gigantic starter, you shouldn't be close to actually overpitching.

Nice to see you are that precise though...that attention to detail is probably why you are drinking good beer!

I agree, J, I think that you are being pretty precise and it's appropriate to think of pitching rate/size as an approximation. But, I don't take a very scientific approach, perhaps I should :)

What would be the down-side to over-pitching yeast? Is it just unnecessary, or is it bad for the brew? (I'm new to making starters)

What would be the down-side to over-pitching yeast? Is it just unnecessary, or is it bad for the brew? (I'm new to making starters)

Theoretically, you might not get some of the same characteristics as you would get from pitching a bit less - some of the fruity esters that you might be seeking from an English ale yeast, for example. It's so hard to do, though - it's a LOT of yeast for you to actually be overpitching - that I wouldn't think twice about it.

Latest posts

Back