Recipe feedback: Decoction Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Hargreaves

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try a decoction mash for a while, and am thinking of using it on a partial mash ESB recipe. I know this isn't a traditional English technique, but I like my bitters with a big fat malty backbone and figure this might be a good way to achieve that.

Here's what I have so far:

4 lb Maris Otter
0.75 lb Honey Malt
3 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (late addition)
1 oz EKG (60 min)
1 oz EKG (30 min)
1 oz EKG (15 min)
1 oz EKG (0 min)
WLP005 (British Ale)

Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: 36.7

I'm planning on doing a 2 step decoction. The default Beersmith profile suggests something like the following:

35 min Protein Rest Add 38.00 Cup of water at 126.6 F 122.0 F
20 min Saccharification Decoct 13.67 Cup of mash and boil it 150.0 F
20 min Saccharification Decoct 5.67 Cup of mash and boil it 158.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F
Sparge with 1.45 gal of 168.0 F water.
Boil Volume: 3.00 gal

Questions:

• Does this look like a sensible mash profile? I've seen other people skip the protein rest and use the second decoction to raise to mash out temperature instead - anyone got any recommendations for a decoction first-timer?
  • Is the honey malt a good idea? I figured it might help me achieve an intense alt-style decoction malty goodness, but worry this could be overkill?
  • I'm currently resisting the urge to add other specialty malts (half a pound of biscuit? maybe swap a pound or two of the MO for Vienna?) - good idea? bad idea?

I usually go more with:

30 min protein rest (122°F)
45 min saccharification rest (150°F)
10 min mash out (168°F)

You could do your decoctions for sacc temp and mash out, instead of a double sacc and direct heat mash-out.

I guess i don't see why you are doing the second saccharification, especially since you might not get much conversion in the first 20 minutes...you'll get high dextrins at 158°F.

Malty does not need to equal dextrinous. You will have a nice malt profile and a drier, more drinkable beer if you leave your mash at 150°F.

If you are doing the decoctions, I don't think the vienna is necessary...might be overboard. Bisquit could be OK, tho...again, i would mash low. Honey malt will add a lovely sweetness to it...not necessarily malty. I think that looks good.

I would do the first rest at 133F or you may have issues with body and head retention from protein loss. I wouldn't bother with the rest at 158 either, just hold your pulled decoctions at about 156 for 10 minutes or so before you bring them up to a boil.

I've never decocted maris otter except for mash out, I'm definitely interested to hear how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back