light mash, dark beer - adjust kettle pH for candy syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonG

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a version of CSI's Westy 12 clone, which uses only pilsner and 2 row in the mash, and gets its dark color from 2.5 #s D-180 syrup added during the boil.

I typically build up my water from distilled, and am planning on a very soft water profile, targeting a mash pH of 5.4-5.5 based on a pilsner/2-row only grain bill. However, the final beer will be ~ 31 SRM. So, would you recommend any kettle additions to influence the pH in light of the sugar additions?

My suspicion is that the sugar would not appreciably affect the kettle or beer pH on its own, such that as long as my mash pH is in range, the rest should follow (as it typically does). In support of this is information from CSI's website, which states:

"Our syrups are designed to have a minimal impact on wort pH to assure no negative impact on fermentation."

Any other thoughts on this? I've never brewed with these syrups before, so I don't quite know what to expect.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back