Bottled with the oldest son tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
My son wanted a vanilla porter. Not one with a hint of vanilla but a hit you in the face vanilla ( I think it is gonna be over whelming) Anyway we made a robust porter that I had made a few times prior and added 1.75 oz pure vanilla extract at 10 mins of the boil. Then we soaked 2 scraped and chopped vanilla beans to a small amount of spiced rum and let that soak for a couple weeks. Racked the porter to a secondary and strained the vanilla rum into it. let that set a week and cold crashed and bottled it tonight. The 2 year old grandson had to set with me and " help papaw bottle beer" ... The sample was not as bad as I expected but I have a feeling it is gonna be rough.

Sounds like it's gonna be vanilla-e, keep us up to date as I have a porter on the schedule for this year and I am curious how the vanilla works with it.

I'm interested in how it turns out too. I tried a vanilla java porter microbrew earlier this year and absolutely loved it!

Back