I need some input on an American Pils recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apshaffer

Reaction score
I've been asked to brew a 5 gallon batch of American Pilsner for a friend who is interested in home brewing. I've decided to use SF Lager yeast because we will be brewing at his place and he doesn't have the ability to lager. I have a 1.5 liter starter going now. Here's what I'm thinking so far for grain:

8# 2 Row
1.5# Flaked Corn
.5# CaraPils

Should I go grab some minute rice or up the corn? I threw in the carapils just because I have it.

As for hops, I have Saaz, Hersbucker, and a little Centennial left. I was thinking it should be in the mid 20s for IBUs, but I'm not sure about the schedule. All at 60? Some late in the boil? I'm not sure what's appropriate for this style.

I've also never used SF Lager yeast before. Any opinions on the yeast?

Thanks.

I'm in no way an expert on this style but I think I would leave out the carapils and the corn/barley mix looks about right. You might consider using Pilsner malt instead of two row, as an option. I would probably go with the Saaz hops.

Stepping back, though, I would hesitate to choose this for a new brewer's first batch. It is a difficult style to brew well and he will likely be disappointed in the outcome if he is comparing it to the commercial beers he likes. This is especially true if he can't ferment at lager temps.

Thanks for the input. I think I am scrapping the pils idea and will make my friend a cream ale instead. I will be doing all the 'work' so it won't technically be his first batch. He just gets to see the process and keep the beer. But, I am a little concerned about not being able to lager a pils.

Do most people lager when using SF lager yeast? I know it ferments in the 60s, but do you then lager for a month?

I will probably use S-05 or notty for his batch, and keep the SF lager starter for myself.

Do most people lager when using SF lager yeast? I know it ferments in the 60s, but do you then lager for a month?

If you're using it to make a California Common (or steam beer), then the answer is that some do and some don't. If you were using it to make an American Pilsner, then yes, I would think you would want to lager it.

Just wanted to ditto Papper's suggestions. They are spot on. Cream ale is a good choice. I brew a lot of lagers, and, yeah, Pilsner malt works much better than pale malt to get the right flavors. All you need to change in the recipe is the yeast.

For the hops add at 60 min (or first wort hop) to your target IBUs. My preference then is no more than 0.5 oz of flavor and aroma hops. If you go with more, it will cover up the malt flavors. If you/he likes the hops then you can certainly add more.

Back