What else can I keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
Kegging stuff is on the way and my mind is racing. Beam and Coke? Vodka and lemonade? Milk? Ok, milk is dumb but you get my drift.

Kegging stuff is on the way and my mind is racing. Beam and Coke? Vodka and lemonade? Milk? Ok, milk is dumb but you get my drift.

Don't laugh too hard at kegging Milk. . . I actually googled that once to see if anyone had done it and was surprised. Apparently you can buy carbonated milk in stores in Korea

Back on topic, some people keg plain water and use syrups to make almost any kind of soda you could want. You can also mix with cranberry juice etc.

Also, EdWort's apfelwein comes to mind. I have a batch I'm going to keg this week hopefully. Can't wait to finally taste it carb'd up. :rockin:

How do you keep the alcohol in the soda? Does it not separate or do you shake it before serving?

What do you have the PSI set to? temp?

Temp is about 38*F PSI is 35. The alcohol stays mixed without shaking. My process is as follows:

Add 4 1/2 Gal bottles Bacardi to empty keg.
Add 2Qt coke syrup from BIB purchased at Costco. (BIB mix ratio is 5to1, so 5gal BIB makes 30gal coke.)
Fill to top weld with filtered water from frige.
Connect gas and set reg to 60PSI, shake keg for 5 min.
Set reg to 35PSI and perfect carbonation will be achieved in 24 hours.
Keeps indefinitely, but drinks quickly.

Use caution, this makes a VERY stiff drink.

bowiefan said:
Temp is about 38*F PSI is 35. The alcohol stays mixed without shaking. My process is as follows:

Add 4 1/2 Gal bottles Bacardi to empty keg.
Add 2Qt coke syrup from BIB purchased at Costco. (BIB mix ratio is 5to1, so 5gal BIB makes 30gal coke.)
Fill to top weld with filtered water from frige.
Connect gas and set reg to 60PSI, shake keg for 5 min.
Set reg to 35PSI and perfect carbonation will be achieved in 24 hours.
Keeps indefinitely, but drinks quickly.

Use caution, this makes a VERY stiff drink.

You dispense at 35psi? That sounds really high.

Great link, thanks alot. Sorry but I'm still confused. You're dispensing soda at 35 psi through 40 feet of line???

That's correct. Soda is carbonated a LOT higher (~4 volumes instead of 2 to 2.5) than beer so you need the 35 PSI, and to balance that and not get a rocket blast of soda out of the tap you need the extra line to balance the pressure so it pours nice and slow.

So I should consider each keg having it's own regulator. Say I have a stout and a Belgian on tap, dispensing pressure should be different for each beer to maintain original carbonation values. Am I getting it?

You can get multi-body regulators so you can run multiple pressures. It gets expensive that way so maybe not 1 reg per keg depending how many kegs you have. Lots of people buy 2 or 3 body regulators for that purpose though. I bought a 2 body regulator so that someday when I have my keezer I can have a soda tap running higher pressure than beer.

You can also get secondary regulators that run off the pressure from the primary regulator as well instead of buying a whole new dual-body regulator.

Great link, thanks alot. Sorry but I'm still confused. You're dispensing soda at 35 psi through 40 feet of line???

Yes. I usually use 25-30' of line at 30 psi at 40 degrees.

I only have hard lemonade and beer on tap now. But I've done wine, cider, soda, water (for a seltzer drink that you can add syrups too), etc.

So I should consider each keg having it's own regulator. Say I have a stout and a Belgian on tap, dispensing pressure should be different for each beer to maintain original carbonation values. Am I getting it?

As was mentioned, you need one regulator for each dispensing pressure. I have one regulator with a distributor for 5 kegs, and the second regulator for one keg. That second regulator is the one for soda or something else. All of my beer is almost always set at 11 psi in my fridge, unless I have something I want much more highly (or lower) carbed.

Yooper said:
As was mentioned, you need one regulator for each dispensing pressure. I have one regulator with a distributor for 5 kegs, and the second regulator for one keg. That second regulator is the one for soda or something else. All of my beer is almost always set at 11 psi in my fridge, unless I have something I want much more highly (or lower) carbed.

Originally I thought you could carb beers at different volumes and dispense them all at the same psi. So now I'm realizing they'll only stay carbed at whatever the dispensing pressure is. I guess I shouldn't be so concerned, I use carb tabs for all my bottles no matter what the style. I just like to make sure I know what I'm talking about.

Unless you lower the pressure each time you serve and bump it back up when you're done. That can work temporarily for parties and whatnot but would get annoying fast I'm sure.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I run 2 regulators (they are daisy chained, talk to Ben (the other one) at kegconnection.com about a nipple to connect an additional regulator to your existing one.) One regulator set to 35PSI with 3 hoses feeding; rum/coke, seltzer, spare for force-carbing/purging. And a second reg with 5 hoses feeding 4taps and a spare for set and forget carbing of beer. Having the soda/mixed drink option is sooooooo worth the cost of a second reg and a $4 nopple to connect it.

Ben

Back