Lauter Tun clarification-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomHanx

Reaction score
Just so I'm clear, I'm pretty sure but double checking- you can either use a false bottom screen OR a lauter tun manifold but you don't have to use both correct?
What are the pro's/con's for each if you do use them seperatley?

Also is there a differance really in using a plastic "food grade" bucket for this versus using a rubbermaid 5 gallon water cooler?
For super cheaps sake could you use a water cooler jug like in the picture? It's just I can easily get those for free to nothing...
water-cooler-jug-40lbs.jpg

Just so I'm clear, I'm pretty sure but double checking- you can either use a false bottom screen OR a lauter tun manifold but you don't have to use both correct?
What are the pro's/con's for each if you do use them seperatley?

yup, only one or the other. FB's can be used for batch or fly sparging and provide the best opportunity for wort to drain evenly from all the grains (few dead zones). The result is presumably better efficiencies. MANY here disagree, I'm not trying to instigate a debate, I'm simply stating that that's one of the percieved or assumed bennies of a FB. The manifold can be used for batch or fly sparging as well. A well designed manifold can achieve equally good efficiencies as long as the design is good (mainly a concern for fly sparging). One of the biggest bennies of a manifold is that they are cheap and easy to build (from CPVC or copper). The last big design is a mesh screen like this: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-bazooka-screen.html It's best used in batch sparge applications, is very simple and can yield great results...

I use a false bottom and fly sparge. I like it, it's easy and I routinely get 75+% efficiency from my mash.

Also is there a differance really in using a plastic "food grade" bucket for this versus using a rubbermaid 5 gallon water cooler?
For super cheaps sake could you use a water cooler jug like in the picture? It's just I can easily get those for free to nothing...
water-cooler-jug-40lbs.jpg

Sorry, I know very little about them. I've considered using them before and they're similar to the Better Bottles. Only downside is the volume. I'd recommend 4 gal batches (or smaller) to leave enough room at the top for active fermentation.

Look for the word "PET" printed on the bottle (usually around the recycling code.. by the neck or the bottom). that will indicate it is food safe.. but I am not sure about using it for mashing, as that requires resistance to heat. Putting a ~160 degree mash in it may extract unpleasant flavors at best and poisonous compounds, at worst.

The rubbermaid coolers are rated food safe to 180F (but the manufacturer will not warranty that, as it is not designed to keep beverages hot and they say the insulation can crack. It definitely deforms a bit)

The old bottles are number 7, don't use them. The new ones, with solid plastic handles are pet. The only issue I hear is that in insides are not smooth, little bumps everywhere. More of a chance for batercia to hide. I have 6 pet ones, going to use for my long ter, storage of my lambics.

ThePearsonFam said:
were you talking about using the bottle for fermenting or mashing?

Was talking about for the lauter tun. I'll just fork over the extra 5-10 bucks for 5 gallon buckets

Back