Mixed Grape/Berry Juice Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have only made apfelwein and beer before, but we have a roommate that doesn't drink carbonation and our curiosity got the best of us, so we decided to wing it and throw together some (moderately priced) wine. Our hodgepodge recipe is something like as follows:

32 oz pure blueberry juice
64 oz pure black cherry juice
1 and 1/2 gallon "mixed berry" juice (from Central Market if you are familiar)
32 oz "hibiscus cooler" juice containing mixed fruit juice and hibiscus
3 gallons old orchard and welch's grape juice
Plus around 2-3 cups corn sugar and corn syrup solids

We mixed in the corn sugar and threw it all in our carboy, pitched a packet of Red Star red wine yeast and let the yeastlies take over from there.

Had a foam-over part way through day 2, but I cleaned it up and the bubblin' continues. I'm hoping it'll turn out as all the juice looked really good and I'll be bummed if it all goes to waste. I know a lot of people add other stuff such as pectic enzyme and camden tablets to their wine among many many other things, but we decided to keep it simple for now. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out!

Never did test gravity. For some reason I didn't think to? Used to a normal beer brewing day, making this was too quick.

Here's the juice we used:
juiceyjuice.jpg

Expecting around 8-12% ???

I believe Red Star red wine yeast goes to 16%. There's no way to really know unless you calculate all the sugar from the bottles since you didn't take the starting gravity.

Back