corny question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankr

Reaction score
I just received my 3 keg kit from Keg Connection. The plastic top on one of the kegs is cracked in many places. It looks like it was re-glued a long time ago. Should this cause any concern about leaking or is it purely cosmetic damage?

Anybody ever try pressure washing the keg bodies to remove the stickers and grime? I have a 3100 psi pressure washer that should make short work of it. :p

I am not 100% sure of what part you are talking about, are you referring to the rubber handles on top? If so, then no need to worry as those have nothing to do with the kegs functionality. The only purpose is cosmetic/carrying handle.

As far as a pressure washer, I don't think it would be a good idea, but I have never tried it.

Purely cosmetic, your keg should work just fine. I would like to know how that pressure washer works:)

The guy I buy kegs from washes them with a pressure washer before selling them. He cleans them inside and out, and said it's the quickest and easiest way to get them looking presentable, especially on the inside of the ones with dried on soda syrup.

I fill one with hot water and a scoop of Oxy-clean powder. After an hour or two of it sitting in the keg, I'll take a sponge with a plastic abrasive on one side, and gently scrub the outside using the soapy water from inside the keg. Stickers will be loose anyway due to the heat from the water in the keg making any adhesives less stiff. Then, once you peel off the now loosened stickers, scrub scrub scrub. Mine come out virtually spotless, except for some wear marks here and there.

With 30 minutes of work, I can turn a nasty-dirty keg, covered in tape/stickers/whatever, into an attractive shiny keg suitable for a batch of beer.

I fill one with hot water and a scoop of Ox-clean powder. After an hour or two of it sitting in the keg, I'll take a sponge with a plastic abrasive on one side, and gently scrub the outside using the soapy water from inside the keg. Stickers will be loose anyway due to the heat from the water in the keg making any adhesives less stiff. Then, once you peel off the now loosened stickers, scrub scrub scrub. Mine come out virtually spotless, except for some wear marks here and there.

With 30 minutes of work, I can turn a nasty-dirty keg, covered in tape/stickers/whatever, into an attractive shiny keg suitable for a batch of beer.

This works for me too but I'm interested as well if a pressure washer would work well for the outside. Intriguing....

I use an angle grinder with gatorgrit polishing disks to take off stickers and get them nice and shiny. Dont use an actual abrasive cutting/grinding disk though unless you want holes in your kegs.

The pressure washer worked great. Took about five minutes to clean three kegs :D. The stickers were blasted off, but one particularly stubborn sticker left a little residue. It isn't sticky anymore though. They are shiney and clean, but definitely not polished.

I took them apart, and all of the parts are soaking. When I rebuild with new washers, do I use keg lube on all of the washers or just the lid washer?

The pressure washer worked great. Took about five minutes to clean three kegs :D. The stickers were blasted off, but one particularly stubborn sticker left a little residue. It isn't sticky anymore though. They are shiney and clean, but definitely not polished.

I took them apart, and all of the parts are soaking. When I rebuild with new washers, do I use keg lube on all of the washers or just the lid washer?

Glad to hear it worked well. You use the keg lube on ALL o-rings.

Latest posts

Back