fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IH8UM

Reaction score
I have to brew in my garage, so I depend on the temperature of the outside for my fermentation temperature. I have a stainless steel fermenter. I can cool it with my refrigerator, but what can I do to warm it when the temperature is in the 50's like today? Is there a heating pad or something that can be connected to a thermostat for these things?

Thanks,

Rich

i think they are called brew belts.

Depending on the yeast, many will ferment at that temp, albeit somewhat slower. The yeast is going to keep it warmer for the initial ferment. I hold my chill boxes at 52 to 55 to ferment at 60 to 65 in the summer. Winter, I leave them out (50s in the garage)

Check your yeast. Notty loves it cool. My wheats love it cool. S04 got pissy with me one time, but not sure it was the temp.

You could always use a water bath and an aquarium heater as well, but a brew belt is easy and less mess.

Back