thermoworks thermapen ever broken?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I was looking at getting a nice thermometer for brewing and general use when grilling. Everyone says thermapen is by far the best and i havent seen anyone complain about it breaking. The probe doesnt seem replaceable and thermoworks also sells a hand held thermocoupler with the same probe as the thermapen but it can be replaced. Has anyone ever had their pen break or does it last for several years

Don't know about breakage, but I highly recommend one.

I went through several thermos that all seemed to die after a few brews, including one of their mini hand-helds that I damaged the probe during the first use (had it in a pocket). The worst thing was that I could never get two to get anywhere close to similar readings. even after calibration.

I received a thermapen for a gift and would recommend buying outright, especially the new waterproof ones. We use it lot on the grill, the readings are super fast. easy to clean.
Best of all is not worrying about the calibration - if it says my wort is 154, it is 154!
just be careful with the tip of the probe - those things are VERY sharp.

jason

I've had a splash-proof thermapen for a year or so and use it for checking mash temp, boil kettle (no BK thermometer & like to see how close to boil), and checking meat in the smoker.

It seems pretty durable, but I don't throw it around. You should expect it to last several years if you treat it with reasonable care (based on my experience).

The new splash proof thermapen is *much, much* better. I had an old one that got wet (someone in my kitchen didn't know it wasn't waterproof). It's never been quite the same since then. Sometimes it goes haywire and reads weird numbers. My new splash proof one has been great.

I have had the splash proof for over a year. I've dropped it and left it out in the rain for a while and it's as good as new. It's more durable than it looks. Not indestructible of course.

I am sure you can break it if you try hard enough. I bet a good shot with a sledge hammer would do it. I am equally sure running it over with a bulldozer could do a number on it but unless you out of your way to try and destroy one of these Thermapens they never seem to fail. I have had mine for a little over 7 years without even a hiccup and BTW if you decide to buy one, get the blue one. It is the most accurate color by magnitudes.;):p

The new splash proof thermapen is *much, much* better. I had an old one that got wet (someone in my kitchen didn't know it wasn't waterproof). It's never been quite the same since then. Sometimes it goes haywire and reads weird numbers. My new splash proof one has been great.

I have the splash proof one and every once in a while it will read erroneous numbers like -299 or 1543, but it starts working fine again right after that.

Eric

+ ∞ for the splash proof thermapen, I have had one for nearly a year, and it is great!

Fast and accurate readings, I boiled some water here in Tucson, our elevation is ~2000 ft above sea level, and water should boil here about 208°F, sure enough it is right on the money.

Versatility is the best thing about the thermapen, and it fits in my pocket comfortably, I always have it on me during brewday and grilling.

Latest posts

Back