Ferment in the kitchen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyral210

Reaction score
Ok here is my problem:

I have a store room I have used to ferment my beer before and that always worked fine with a heater in. Now I am making wine I have a few demijohns there at low temperature slow fermenting and maturing, so the last thing I want to do is chuck a heater in there for the beer!

My kitchen is pretty warm, about 23°C, so is ideal for fermenting my brew. The problem is I have very big windows with lots of lovely light coming through. My Fermenter is pretty opaque, but not completely. I know that UV light reacts with beer making it smell and taste funny (hence brown bottles) so should I be worried? Should I cover the fermenter with a towel to kill of all light? Photo attached:

4099630193_58a7c3624a.jpg

Can't hurt. Frankly, unless the light is pretty intense, I don't think it will make much of a difference, though. What I would do, however, is move the fermenter away from your stove, if possible.

Why away from the stove? Sorry, I live in a catered hall so hardly use it. I can leave it off for the text 10 days :)

My only concern of having next to the stove is that cooking my affect the temperature as your beer ferments. The effect wouldn't be huge, but if you are boiling a pot of water for pasta right next to it, you could cause a few more esters than you want. If you can't move it, I wouldn't worry too much. Just don't use the burners right next to it for long periods of time.

Definitely cover the fermenter if there is any chance of direct sunlight hitting it.

Back