Cellaring in a dorm fridge.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baraza

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question about trying to store some of my homebrew, as well as some of my store bought beer, in a cellar. The problem is I do not have a basement and my home stays about 72 F most of the time. I do not have to many spots in my house that stay dark, so I have some problems.

I do have an old dorm fridge that works just fine. On it's lowest setting it hits about 50 F and I was wondering if that was too low to cellar beer. Or if maybe after I put a few bottles in there if it will warm up. Also I wondered if I disconnect the freezer section how much will that change the temp of the fridge?

Another question I had was about corked beers. I keep reading about humidity levels and some people say that dry can harm the corks and some say that there are no problems, any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Vince.
:mug:

you can't disconnect the freezer section on most as thats what cools the fridge. Get yourself a Johnson/Love/Ranco controller and set that to the temps you want, it will allow you to keep the beer warmer but 50° shouldnt be a problem for fully carbed beers.

I have no suggestions on the corked beer

Back