How much Grain of Paradise to Add to a 5gal Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
So I am getting everything delivered to start my saison. I have been looking at alot of other recipes and as far as spicing the beer I am using Sorachi Ace Pellets and Grains. I am going to use 1oz of hops at 60 and dry hop with 2 more oz after primary dies down.

My main question is with the Grains. I have seen recipes that go from a 1/4tsp all the way up to 1oz or even 2. Most of the recipes seem to add it at the very end of the boil or at flameout, however I have seen a few add it in the Dry Hop Phase.

I am just curious as to what experience others have had with Grains in a Saison. I don't want to end up with undrinkable spice bombs that get worse over time.

How much have you guys used?

I use 1 tsp of highly crushed seeds at flameout, which turns out to be about 1g for a 5gal batch. It is for a 1554 clone, and turns out very well, not too overpowering but it's definitely there. I think 1-2oz would be way to much, but that's just me. Might need a bit more than 1g to balance the yeast flavor in a saison, though.

I have used 1 gram and up to 2 grams in a 1554 clone. I would think you would want a lot less in a saison. I add the crushed seeds at 10 min

Latest posts

Back