Oatmeal Stout Recipe All Grain Check it out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
This is my first shot at brewing a stout, The hops may be a little on the floral, light side of the coin but they are what is in my freezer! I also have a sack of American Choco and CaraAmber sitting around..so I threw this together. According to palmer I should just cook the rolled oats like I was making breakfast and add them to the mash.

If any of the much more experienced brewers have any advice or comments about this stout, that would be great.

Brewer: CP Email: -
Beer: American Stout Style: Foreign-Style Stout
Type: All grain Size: 5 gallons
Color: 131 HCU (~42 SRM) Bitterness: 45 IBU
OG: 1.072 FG: 1.015
Alcohol: 7.3% v/v (5.7% w/w)
Grain: 10 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. Cara Amber
1 lb. Rolled oats
1 lb. American chocolate
8 oz. Roasted barley
Mash: 75% efficiency
Boil: minutes SG 1.060 6 gallons
Hops: 1 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 45 min.)
.5 oz. Kent Goldings (5% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Kent Goldings (5% AA, 15 min.)

Looks like a great stout to me. If you buy your oats from a brew shop or it says "flaked" or "rolled", then they're probably pre-gelatinized so you don't really need to cook them. If it's whole oats, then yes, you'll need to cook them.

Since this is an oatmeal stout and you're wanting to show off that ingredient, you might try lowing your roasted barley a bit.

Looks like a great stout to me. If you buy your oats from a brew shop or it says "flaked" or "rolled", then they're probably pre-gelatinized so you don't really need to cook them. If it's whole oats, then yes, you'll need to cook them.

Since this is an oatmeal stout and you're wanting to show off that ingredient, you might try lowing your roasted barley a bit.

Maybe Adjust the Roasted Barley down to 4 ounces?

I am just going to use quaker whole rolled oats, so I suppose I could just toss them in! I am shooting for sweet, thick , dark and smooth.

If anything, I'd drop the CaraAmber. You really don't need it. Let the body come from the oats. I don't think Oatmeal Stout should be sweet, but YMMV.

I'd drink your recipe! :mug:

Bob

If anything, I'd drop the CaraAmber. You really don't need it. Let the body come from the oats. I don't think Oatmeal Stout should be sweet, but YMMV.

I'd drink your recipe! :mug:

Bob

Wow, crazy..I was literally just thinking that and playing around with the recipe. I also decided that the cascades (.5 oz) at 45 just wasn't necassary.

Brewer: CP Email: -
Beer: - Style: Foreign-Style Stout
Type: All grain Size: 5 gallons
Color: 134 HCU (~43 SRM) Bitterness: 42 IBU
OG: 1.068 FG: 1.015
Alcohol: 6.8% v/v (5.4% w/w)
Grain: 10 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. 8 oz. American chocolate
4 oz. Roasted barley
1 lb. Rolled oats
Mash: 75% efficiency
Boil: minutes SG 1.057 6 gallons
Hops: 1 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Kent Goldings (5% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Kent Goldings (5% AA, 15 min.)

I wouldn't up the chocolate either. Too much chocolate and you start to get into a burnt tasting flavor in my opinion. I like the 4oz. of roasted barley and that you dropped the amber. If you're trying to hit a certain mark on ABV, I'd just up your 2row quantity.

Keep recipe the same and drop the amber. I

10 pound 2 row
1 pound choco
1 pound oats
4 oz roasted barley

1 oz NB at 60
1/2 oz EKG at 30
1/2 oz EKG at 15

It is so awesome having experienced brewers come in and help here.

I was thinking single infusion mash at 155 deggrees for 60-90 minutes...and then batch sparging twice.

Back