ingredient intervals?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMonster

Reaction score
I'm brewing a amber holiday ale. Still using extract, its easier in our small apartment.

My question is how do I know when to add different ingredients and have them come out at different intervals of the beer? Say I want hazelnut as aroma and not qs much for flavor and I wanted cherry, vanilla and cinnamon as the main thing you taste, make it a stronger flavor and then have the almond nutmeg and more vanilla be the finish...

I've been looking online and I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Thank you guys in advance.

There are many answers to this but one way is the timing of the addition in the boil.

30-15 minutes left in the boil is mainly for flavor
15-flameout is mainly for aroma

Spices are a bit trickier since they tend to impart flavor and aroma whenever they are added. When you add them will lead to their intensity, as well as how much you use.

Also, you can add ingredients after fermentation directly to the beer or by making a vodka potion (soaking ingredients in vodka then straining and adding the vodka)

Finally, you can add things at bottling or kegging time too.

Hope this helps...there is no definitive "add at x time and get x flavor or aroma" but it does function within the above framework.

Cal is pretty spot on with his explanation. Go with that.

Also, Cal, we should brew soon!

Yeah man...WAY too long. Obviously with the holidays approaching it will be tougher to connect. Try to give me a week heads up and I will figure things out. I am brewing over the break so I will drop you a line.

Back