Lager Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyjim

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a quick background on this batch. I followed a recipe called Uncommon-Common in one of the latest BYO mags and everything was great to start. Everything went well with the brew day and the fermenting temperature is right around 58degreesF. Long story short I only pitched one vial of White Labs Lager Yeast and the main fermentation has already come and gone. I have yet to take a final gravity reading but I know it needs more time and either way I wanted to leave it there for a month.

Will my lack of yeast have already created some off flavours or is it not too late to get some more yeast and pitch a second time? Also, this may take a few days as I have no access except e-mail to get the yeast but I do have a generic DRY Coopers Brewing Yeast lying around. Any thoughts???

(And I already know I need to pitch a starter next time).

If you pitch more, it should be a starter, not just another vial. Don't freak out until you have taken gravity, though.

It had a good fermentation but only lasted about 4 days. The gas coming from the fermenter as slow but I figured it's suppose to be like that because of it's a lager. Should I give it a rouse? I sat for 30mins watching it and didn't see it bubble once. I'm on day 7.

It had a good fermentation but only lasted about 4 days. The gas coming from the fermenter as slow but I figured it's suppose to be like that because of it's a lager. Should I give it a rouse? I sat for 30mins watching it and didn't see it bubble once. I'm on day 7.

What's the current SG?

The recipe said to pitch 2.5 packets of yeast, whereas I only pitched one. That is my fault as I missed it. Too late now, but it's hit it's final gravity very fast. All the sugars are eaten.

The recipe said to pitch 2.5 packets of yeast, whereas I only pitched one. That is my fault as I missed it. Too late now, but it's hit it's final gravity very fast. All the sugars are eaten.

Yep. It's done! You can go ahead and do what you planned- either a diacetyl rest, or nothing. :D

Thanks for the help Yooper. I am going to leave it in the celar for a good 3 more weeks before I even touch it. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back