Grain mistake...help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
I bought some grain online not too long ago and made a mistake in the order getting 1.5lbs of carapils rather than 0.5lbs. That is way too much for my originally planned brew and since everything was bagged together I am SOL.

I was hoping to not waste this grain and want to come up with a recipe to use it. I was thinking a bigger beer IIPA, imp stout, barley wine etc..?

Here is the base:

2lb Vienna Malt
10lb 2-row
1.5lb Carapils
0.5lb Crystal 20L

On hand I have:

150lb 2-row
1/2lb coffee malt
1/2lb chocolate malt
3lb Crystal 60L
1lb Carapils

Hops:

.75oz Magnum pellet
12.5oz Amarillo leaf/pellet
1.25oz Simcoe leaf
13oz Centennial pellet
12.75oz Cascade pellet
8oz Chinook pellet
8oz Columbus pellet
8oz Crystal pellet
.25oz Warrior pellet

Yeast on hand is 2x packets of Notty

Any suggestions on what to do with the base? I don't mind buying some more ingredients, I would prefer not too, but will do what it takes.

Thanks! :mug:

If the grain you ordered hasn't been milled yet, put it in a plastic container and use it later. Or just use it all now. It's not going to add too many base points to your og and will give you some residual sweetness and better mouthfeel. If it was me i'd just dump it all in.

The grain has not been milled, but the base is in one bag, all mixed together - I cannot separate the extra carapils so I want to make a recipe that won't be odd with the extra mouth feel added by the large amount of carapils.

I wouldn't sweat the extra cara. If the recipe's an IPA, or if you can make it into one with some heavy hopping, then you'll need that extra cara anyway. I've accidentally doubled some grain amounts in past recipes and while sometimes it's interesting to see what happened, it's never made a bad beer. Unless you're trying to make an EXACT clone of a brew (which is next to impossible btw) i'd use the cara in once recipe and move on. No use sweating $5 (i'm guessing) of grain. Or toss it. Or feed it to the birds.

Back