Buy XM Equipment Now Or Wait for Sirius/XM Post-Merger Hardware?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
Tried it, love it, want it. Top Tracks and Deep Tracks are enough for me, OK, The Boneyard, too-no talk or sports...

Then I hear this week that the fifth and final member of the 'Committee' has given approval for the Merger. New hardware is to be compatible with both stations. But when?

So, is it wiser to buy before the new hardware debuts and and be 'grandfathered' (is this the best position), or should I wait for the new hardware and take chances on the 'New Monopoly' subscriber plans and rates? :confused:

So, is it wiser to buy before the new hardware debuts and and be 'grandfathered' (is this the best position), or should I wait for the new hardware and take chances on the 'New Monopoly' subscriber plans and rates? :confused:

I can't imagine they would have approved the merger unless there was a "no immediate price increase" condition. Then again, I don't know how big the bribes were. ;)

Personally I'd wait for the new hardware, as I'm pretty happy with my mobile iPod installation, and am in no hurry to subscribe. It will probably be quite a wait.

XM is great for the variety ...not the fidelity...one guy suggested getting a DBX dynamic range expander to improve the signal slightly.

OTOH, I just picked up the Sony HD tuner, and the signal quality is far beyond any FM signal I have ever heard ...

I am glad I have both.

With the merger, they're not allowed to raise prices for at least 3 years. I've been thinking about getting satellite radio myself - I was told the dual tuners should be available in 3 months, so I'm going to wait.

+1 on waiting. I have Sirius and I was listening to the CEO on Howard Stern and he said that current subscribers with have to pay an extra $4 to be able to listen to the XM channels and vice versa. If you can be patient and wait it should be a lot less confusing once the dual radios come out.
I have had sat. radio for 3+ years now and I don't think I will ever unsubscribe

i was told the merger went through.

they aren't going to change the name, just leave it as Sirius/XM so this way all the original equipment still works.

I have been a Sirius customer since around when Sirius came out (it's bee so long I can't remember) I've gone through 2 head units, my last was a Sportster Model and I'm very pleased with it.

I'm curious to know what Sirius is going to do with all of the "Lifetime Subscribers" that signed up at the end of last year (like me).

Back