IOWA Brewers! Echo, Echo, Echo...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been pretty busy with brewing stuff the past couple weeks. Spring gets pretty crazy for me teaching and coaching - so I try to get stocked up.

*Kegged a Scottish 70 and a Dortmunder Friday night
*Kegged a 7C's IPA and an Alt on Sunday.
*Brewed a British Dark Mild on Sunday
*Brewing a Helles tonight after work.
*Will be kegging a blonde and an "americanized" English IPA in a few days.
*Not sure what I will brew this coming weekend..... something though I am sure..... Session APA/IPA probably. Also, perhaps a Porter.... I am fresh out of that.

I've just texted the guy about the kegs, THANKS!

I should be brewing something, just not sure what. I have an IPA, a cream ale, a beer/cider thing, a shandy type beer and an amber all on the docket for the next few weeks, I need to pic up some 2-Row, I'm down to about 60# that's gonna go fast.

No no no, you have it all wrong, we want KEGS, not seeds....

10441042_736677963083358_4052757145696497132_n.jpg

Anyone doing the BJCP Tasting exam in the quad cities on Feb. 7th?

Nah, I'm just a "hobbyist". I brew pretty much for fun and flavor. My favorite time of the year has come and gone, so I'm just muddling about right now. Can't wait til spring, so I can sit next to my Yoder while brewing.
Really miss that.

i know what you mean about the locals around here.

i had no idea what a yoder was until i googled it. holy smoker. those look nice.

you work in town as well?

Well I have a phone deal for six kegs, I drive up to try and buy them about 3:00 today. Hope it goes well.

Cyclone. I just got it. I haven't jumped to kegging yet so I'm slow when it comes to keg jokes.

Funny thing those seed guys are huge state fans. I know the president of the company has season tickets to basketball and football.

Work in Dubuque at a machine shop. Been there 10 years. Haven't been able to land my dream job yet. Until they legalize prostitution, I'm not doing what I truly love. Lol

Cyclone. I just got it. I haven't jumped to kegging yet so I'm slow when it comes to keg jokes.

Ha ha I get ya. I've got a decent set up for sign work, so checked out your Facebook, when I saw that pic I had to give you Hell about it. Lol.

I've got to cutters, a HP 640 printer/cutter, CNC Mill, CNC Router, etc. Just for funzies.

Gwapo, what all do you do? I've got a machine shop set up I build a few things in.

Hello my Iowan Brethren! I am trying to figure out my water issues and have created a thread in the Brew Science Forum. Was hoping to get some advice from the "Locals" haha. If you have a moment I just put up a post on how I am using Brewers Friend. Should be the last post located here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/astringency-every-ag-batch-513990/index3.html

Advice is more than welcome.

Cheers

Beer crazy in Urbandale for local stuff. I order direct for the bulk of my needs.

Well I got my kegs! Made a trip up north by WL and got 5 gently used perfect kegs for $150! Makes for a pretty damn good day. Ordered my new stout faucet today, and disconnected for all the kegs. Now I'm going to build a device that lets me push nitro beers without the need for nitro. It's been a good week I'd say.

Being in Maquoketa, there isn't anyplace "right next door". So I have been to quite a few shops and done the "Mail order" thing as well.
Most of my grain(I have a bunch) was bought direct from Midwest supplies via mail. But I did make a trip up to the twin cities a while ago and stopped at Northern brewer and bought bulk bags there.
Since I work in Dubuque, I find myself going to the LHBS there called "Brewhaus". The owner knows me by name and is great guy. But, he only deals in Briess. I am actually pretty fond of imported malts, so I travel around.
Been to the LHBS shop in East Davenport a few times....4 to be exact. It's called "Camp McClellan". Each time I have walked into that shop, I have walked out disappointed and frustrated. I have sworn that store off for life.Grrrrr!
I recently found "BIY" in Marion. I haven't been there yet, but I have a few things on order. I have talked with Joe a few times on the phone, he has been very helpful and polite.
I also have been to "beer crazy" in Urbandale. I went there about a year ago when in the Des Moines area. I liked it also, but they were out of the rye I was after. Bummer.
Even went to C and S brew supply in Ankeny. He just get into the business when I was there, so his supply was limited. But he was a great guy. At the time he only stock Briess, not sure if he has expanded yet.

Yeah - it can be tough finding places where you can get good varieities of bulk grains. Before Decorah got a store, I had a good friend bring me grain from the Twin Cities whenever he visited. The Decorah store is relatively small, but he can get a great variety of grain - Crisp, Fawcett, Weyerman, Rahr, Briess, etc. I try to plan far enough ahead and let him know what I will be needing a month or so out that way it is ordered by the time I need it if it is not in stock already.

Shipping is killer though, so driving to find a reliable place of find someone who can pick up grain for you is a necessity.

atleast you guys have a store. I'm in FD and the wife is from NW Iowa, and there is absolutely nothing near me or the direction that I seem to travel in most. I have gone to Beer Crazy when in Dsm and even bent over for Chesters Coin in Ames a few times out of sheer convenience, but for the most part I have to order online even 15bucks shipping is cheaper than the travelling cost to a LHBS.

Being in Maquoketa, there isn't anyplace "right next door". So I have been to quite a few shops and done the "Mail order" thing as well.
Most of my grain(I have a bunch) was bought direct from Midwest supplies via mail. But I did make a trip up to the twin cities a while ago and stopped at Northern brewer and bought bulk bags there.
Since I work in Dubuque, I find myself going to the LHBS there called "Brewhaus". The owner knows me by name and is great guy. But, he only deals in Briess. I am actually pretty fond of imported malts, so I travel around.
Been to the LHBS shop in East Davenport a few times....4 to be exact. It's called "Camp McClellan". Each time I have walked into that shop, I have walked out disappointed and frustrated. I have sworn that store off for life.Grrrrr!
I recently found "BIY" in Marion. I haven't been there yet, but I have a few things on order. I have talked with Joe a few times on the phone, he has been very helpful and polite.
I also have been to "beer crazy" in Urbandale. I went there about a year ago when in the Des Moines area. I liked it also, but they were out of the rye I was after. Bummer.
Even went to C and S brew supply in Ankeny. He just get into the business when I was there, so his supply was limited. But he was a great guy. At the time he only stock Briess, not sure if he has expanded yet.
BIY is awesome to have around. He is a genuine guy with real good knowledge, he even has a N Liberty store now.

So since I'm snowed in I'm prepping my rec room to start my bar build, which is below.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f252/its-time-my-bar-build-510158/

I've been playing with so many different projects this week, I'm going in circles. But am always moving forward I guess. Have been playing around with the laser, and trying to figure out the keezer set up, where I will have 5 kegs (maybe six) and 10 2 liter bottles or soda syrup for my bar gun. Also I'm going to have room for about 100 bottles of beer in easy access.

I'm going to be ball deep in the bar build for a week or two, so if anyone wants to jump in, lol.

What's everyone brewing this week?

IMAG1847.jpg

IMAG1848.jpg

The pics of the illustrations of the future bar look great - should be a great build when you are all done.

I am hoping to brew a couple batches in the evenings this week. Doing a Schwarzbier and an IPA. Still in search of a really good IPA I can brew consistently...... I figure if this one Won gold medals at the National Homebrew Competition 3 of the last 5 years..... it is definitely worth a shot - gonna scale it down to 6.5 gallons though: http://www.alternativecommutepueblo.com/2010/01/2014-nhc-category-14-india-pale-ale.html

Brau, I just posted a bunch more of the info over on the build thread.

Let me find my brew bible and I'll share my fave IPA

This is yet unnamed, but it will have one soon. The test batch was out of the world tasty.

This is a 7 gallon (5)finished batch.

12# 2 row
1# Munich Malt
1# Crystal 60
1# US Wheat

Rest at 146 for 90
PBV was 7 gallons
60 minute boil (Keep in mind I can boil off 2 gal an hour)

Hops
1oz Galena @ 60
0.5oz Columbus @ 20
1oz Mosaic @ 10
0.5oz Citra @ Flame out
1oz Citra & 1oz Falcners Flight - Dry @ 34 days

OG - 1.082
FG - 1.012

IBU's 67
1 vial of WLP001
ABV was 9.29

Pitched at 79f
Kegged at 45 days.

Well I got a good start on the wood work for the bar yesterday, and found myself close to the LHBS today so I picked up a pile of stuff and a few hundred pounds of grain. I need to get the pipeline brimming if I'm going to keep all 7 kegs full!

What's everyone up too? Anyway have any crazy snow stories?

Just kegged an experimental IPA I brewed a couple weeks ago and just got done dry hopping. Gotta say - it really tasted like Sh**. I hope it comes around, but not optimistic to be honest. I was trying something different and hopped with some different varieties - Willamette, Glacier, EKG..... going for a bit of an "english IPA"..... got more of a..... I don't know what. On a bright note, my second batch of a new blonde ale came out great - tried my first glass tonight.

Looking ahead to the agenda - Schwarzbier, Session IPA, American IPA, Robust Porter.... not sure what else at this point. Probably get another blonde ale going - it does not last long.

I have a trip to the LHBS scheduled for Friday - need supplies.

Just kegged an experimental IPA I brewed a couple weeks ago and just got done dry hopping. Gotta say - it really tasted like Sh**. I hope it comes around, but not optimistic to be honest. I was trying something different and hopped with some different varieties - Willamette, Glacier, EKG..... going for a bit of an "english IPA"..... got more of a..... I don't know what. On a bright note, my second batch of a new blonde ale came out great - tried my first glass tonight.

Looking ahead to the agenda - Schwarzbier, Session IPA, American IPA, Robust Porter.... not sure what else at this point. Probably get another blonde ale going - it does not last long.

I have a trip to the LHBS scheduled for Friday - need supplies.

Hell just stick it in a spare secondary and forget it for a year, the green hops will fall out of the flavor. Toss in some dry hops like Citra of Falconers Flight (or both) and let it sit to weeks. It will be plenty tasty.

Bones, I don't think I ever thanked you properly. I got my kegs and at a great deal. So thank you my friend! Come to Ames and drink some on me.
Glad someone grabbed them. I didn't need them or want to spend the coin. If I ever find myself in clone-town I will look you up. Thanks

Latest posts

Back