BIAB Mashout / Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gladius270

Reaction score
I will be doing my first full BIAB tomorrow, starting with Northern Brewer's Irish Draught Ale. I plan on using something similar to Deathbrewer's method, using two pots. One for mashing, one for sparge/boil. The instructions call for a 154 degree mash, followed with a 170 degree mashout. This seems like it could be challenging to accomplish. I'm thinking of doing the following to achieve this:

Mash at 154 degrees in pot 1

Heat sparge water to 172-174 degrees in pot 2

Dunk grains in sparge water 4 or 5 times in pot 2

Combine grains and all wort in pot 2

Let rest for 10 minutes

Remove grains and let drip 60-90 seconds

Proceed to boil

I don't know if this would be considered an actual sparge, but I think this will help me in doing what I am trying to do.

Is this even worth doing if I am planning on sparging at 170 degrees anyway?

If I am over complicating this and should skip the mashout altogether, let me know.

I think that mashout is more important for some who uses a conventional mash tun an is fly sparging where their entire process might take an hour or more during which time the enzymes are still functioning and are breaking down long chain sugars. This long process would change the character of the beer so a mashout that disables the enzymes makes sense.

With BIAB you will be done with the "lautering and draining the tun" in seconds as you remove the bag of grains and hold them over the pot to drain. Your sparge will take only a few seconds too since you don't have to let gravity drain the mash tun and a lot of the sugars will be squeezed out before you start the sparge. Hit the heat and the wort will be at mashout temperature very quickly and you're on your way to boil.

BTW, I've found that with the proper crush I get about 80% efficiency with no sparge and that I get most of the sugars out of the bag with cold water sparging. It's so much easier to get that last bit out by squeezing the bag by hand and the cold water makes this so much more comfortable.

Latest posts

Back