Watery Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukdkbr

Reaction score
I've only made a few batches of mead and most of them were on the sweet side. I went for a dry mead this time, my OG was 1.085 and I let it ferment for about 3 months.

Last night I took a gravity reading and it was at 1.000 and I transferred it to secondary on top of some raspberries. I tasted my sample and it almost tasted like water, very very little honey flavor, it just had NO flavor. Is this normal? Will the honey aroma come out more with aging?

Dry meads won't have as much aroma or body as sweeter batches. The lack of aroma will be even more pronounced if using a Champagne yeast and fermenting at temps above 70F. However, aging will allow the honey character to come back, and may allow the body to develop a bit more. Still, a starting gravity of 1.085 is not going to give you a heavy mead.

As Medsen stated, an OG of 1.085 is pretty low. What yeast did you use?

On the future, if you're looking to make a dry mead, try an OG of 1.100, most any wine yeast will ferment that to dry.

Back