First Time Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to start washing and then using a starter for my yeast. I recently made a stir plate, because i was board. I have been looking around and see a bunch of different sizes as far as Erlenmeyer flasks. what size is recommended for 5 gal batches?

They come in all kinds of sizes, but it's probably more affordable to use a gallon jug and a barbell stirbar. What I do personally is make separate 1-liter and 2-liter starters for lagers.

I just made my first starter. I have no stir plate, but am giving it a good swirl every time I walk by. It's definitely taking off after a little under a day. When I swirl it, I get a lot of foam, like a beer with way too much carbonation. Is this typical?

I just made my first starter. I have no stir plate, but am giving it a good swirl every time I walk by. It's definitely taking off after a little under a day. When I swirl it, I get a lot of foam, like a beer with way too much carbonation. Is this typical?

Yes - the yeast produces lots of carbon dioxide, saturating or even super-saturating the starter beer. When shaking, a portion of that CO2 is released, which you see as foaming.

I have only used dry yeast so far (S-05). I am planning to make a Hefe from extract (3 lb DME, 3.3 LME, hallertau hops) and realize that the yeast selection is very important for the hefe flavor. Given the price of liquid yeast, I would prefer to buy one smack pack of Wyeast and make a starter as from what I understand, just the pack alone would be underpitching a 5 gal batch.

No stir plate, so how often does the solution need to be swirled or stirred? Can I make it some evening after work or do I need to be around it for a half a day (awake) and paying constant attention to it?

I have only used dry yeast so far (S-05). I am planning to make a Hefe from extract (3 lb DME, 3.3 LME, hallertau hops) and realize that the yeast selection is very important for the hefe flavor. Given the price of liquid yeast, I would prefer to buy one smack pack of Wyeast and make a starter as from what I understand, just the pack alone would be underpitching a 5 gal batch.

No stir plate, so how often does the solution need to be swirled or stirred? Can I make it some evening after work or do I need to be around it for a half a day (awake) and paying constant attention to it?

Hefeweizens are sort of the exception to the rule. For a standard 12-plato Hefeweizen, you'd be ok with using a single pack or vial of liquid yeast, as long as it's still fresh.

The more often you can shake up a starter, the better. But a stirplate is a very nice thing to have. The one I use is an inexpensive one from http://stirstarters.com/ and works quite well.

For those looking at bigger than 2L starters I found that the 1gal jugs work quite well. Just know that you can't heat them on the stove directly. I usually boil the starter wort in a big pot and get it into the gallon jug with a sanitized funnel. They should also be fine with a stir plate even though there's a slight curvature to the bottom.

ArcaneXor said:
Hefeweizens are sort of the exception to the rule. For a standard 12-plato Hefeweizen, you'd be ok with using a single pack or vial of liquid yeast, as long as it's still fresh.

The more often you can shake up a starter, the better. But a stirplate is a very nice thing to have. The one I use is an inexpensive one from http://stirstarters.com/ and works quite well.

When using a stir plate, if you won't see the kraussen, or CO2 escaping, how do you know the yeast is viable and working?

For ales, 2 liters and up. For lagers, 3 liters and up.

Just curios, why such a big starter for ales? I find a 1 liter gets going in 12-48 hours without problem (no stir plate). I recall reading on another thread about lag time between pitching and airlock activity should be within a certain time frame.

Just curios, why such a big starter for ales? I find a 1 liter gets going in 12-48 hours without problem (no stir plate). I recall reading on another thread about lag time between pitching and airlock activity should be within a certain time frame.

The purpose of a starter is to increase the number of yeast cells. A 1-liter starter doesn't allow for much propagation if the vial/smack pack is new. See http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html and play with the numbers.

You can see both.

You can see CO2? They say Dale Earnhardt could see air in the draft so I guess it's possible. :D

I go by smell. Once it gets going, it's very strong. If you are away for awhile and then come back and give it a swirl, you will still get a good whiff even if most of the work was done while you were away. That is how I tell if its working.
Usually though, I'm anal and I will take the starter with me if I go out. Even at night, I will wake up and go give it a swirl every couple of hours.

For anyone wanting to get jugs for making 1 gallon (4 Liter) starters, I picked up a gallon of apple cider at Whole Foods for $7 last week that came in a nice glass jug. It is currently holding about 3.5 liters of a WLP833 starter for a Helles this weekend.

You can see it when there are thousands of tiny little bubbles are rising to the surface of the starter beer.

OK. I thought maybe you could actually see it coming up through the vessel and into the air.....like you had some special power....

Back