Banana Extract to fix a Hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I have a large batch of Hefe that turned out...not so good. Everything short of an infection went wrong.

Bottom line, I have 8 gallons of 6.8% ABV "Hefe" that does not taste anything like a hefe.

It is drinkable. Just not very good. I may wind up dumping it, but am going to try to improve the taste. Luckily, it is in kegs, so that is an option.

I'm looking at Banana Extract.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=8524
My thought is, to add one ounce to the five gallon keg and let it sit for a while, then taste it. If it needs more, I can add it. If that actually works, I may add banana or some other flavor to the 3 gallon keg.

Sound like a waste of time?

:(

Sounds like a bad idea to me. Instead, just drink it and use a different yeast that will give you more banana's the next time.

Throw a party. Sure fire way to rid yourself of bad beer.

Test the extract in a "test bottle" first. Add the 1% or whatever and let it sit overnight and then try it the next day. I find that extract is not something that tastes great right off the bat.

Try it with a glass of beer first instead of the whole keg. In my opinion, banana flavoring tastes nothing like bananas. In fact, I avoid banana flavored anything at all costs (jello, candy, whatever) except when it is from real bananas.

Try it with a glass of beer first instead of the whole keg. In my opinion, banana flavoring tastes nothing like bananas. In fact, I avoid banana flavored anything at all costs (jello, candy, whatever) except when it is from real bananas.

I put a drop or so of McCormick banana extract in a liter bottle, then filled it with the hefe, shook it up, and let it settle.

It's...not bad.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

I'm drinking crap and I like it!

Really, it does give it a little flavor. Which is an improvement.

Details on what went wrong? Off the bat, 6.8% is a little high for a hefeweizen.

It was my first stuck sparge. I got in a hurry (really should have waited to brew) and dumped in the grain too fast.

Wound up having to scoop out the malt and put it in a grain bag for sparging. Took forever. The wort was very cloudy. I thought my efficiency would be crap, so I added some corn sugar to the boil. When I checked after the boil, it came out 1.066! The yeast added no flavor at all. It's like there is no hefe.

So, this is Quasiheffeweisenbockwitneinheffe (Germans have a word for EVERYTHING).

:eek:

I'm of the belief that life is simply too short to drink sh!tty beer, whether it is one that I brewed or a commercial. Consider this a learning experience, feed the garden with the high test swill and call it a day.

What strain did you use?

I'm of the belief that life is simply too short to drink sh!tty beer, whether it is one that I brewed or a commercial. Consider this a learning experience, feed the garden with the high test swill and call it a day.

What strain did you use?

Danstar Munich. I have NEVER had problems with it before. Bad batch, maybe.

I've made two Hefe's and didn't get the banana flavor in either :(

Next time, I'm gonna ferment it at 75F to get a banana and bubblegum bomb!

Back