The one bit of advice I want to give other beginners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejerk

Reaction score
After a few brews, I've learned ONE thing, and one thing only. Feed yourself before you start your brewing process. Once you start doing your mash you will get distracted, and you'll try to feed yourself only with beer, because you HAVE to drink while you brew, and by the end of the 4-5 hour process of mashing, sparging, boiling, cooling, and pitching, you will be famished and drunk. And then you'll try to walk through the McDonald's drive-through at 1 am and you will get yelled at.
That's pretty much the extent of my brewing expertise.

And this is why I wait till flame out to enjoy a homebrew. I have heard to many horror stories of people getting drunk and screwing up. Either that or the beer gods will guide you through your drunken haze!!! :mug:

I tried that once.... even made car sounds.... they wouldnt serve me till I went inside.

That's why I like AG brewing. I can grab a snack during the mash, or chow down on something during the boil.

As far as totally not drinking during brewing. Nope, not going to happen.

After a few brews, I've learned ONE thing, and one thing only. Feed yourself before you start your brewing process. Once you start doing your mash you will get distracted, and you'll try to feed yourself only with beer, because you HAVE to drink while you brew, and by the end of the 4-5 hour process of mashing, sparging, boiling, cooling, and pitching, you will be famished and drunk. And then you'll try to walk through the McDonald's drive-through at 1 am and you will get yelled at.
That's pretty much the extent of my brewing expertise.

One more piece of advice to ALL brewers: Don't eat at McDonalds! It's poison. You make your own beer, so make your own food!;)

If I have not eaten before I start my brew I will order a pizza after I start my mash. It will normally get delivered about the time I put the pot on the stove and I can eat while waiting for it to come to a boil.

One more piece of advice to ALL brewers: Don't eat at McDonalds! It's poison. You make your own beer, so make your own food!;)

True. But if it's 1 am, you're drunk, and there is a McDonald's within walking distance, it might seem like a good idea.

I did my first 5 batches dry!

I had some friends round for the 6th and we drank beer. I was so scared of getting senseless and messing up my brew that I kept drinking loads of water and even said "No, I'm okay for the time being" when my friend offered to top up my glass. I don't think I've ever said that before.

I brewed my last batch dry, and I found out that brewing is pretty easy when you've got all your wits about you!

I also felt like it was too easy and I was forgetting something...

-Steve

I'm not going to lie. As much as I typically regret it afterward, I LOVE Big Mac's and Chicken McNuggets. And I like to dip my fries in Hot Mustard Sauce.

I generally drink one homebrew while brewing, to appease the homebrewing gods. I also usually have leftovers while I'm brewing. Happy to say that I've been McDonald's free for more than 2 years (or any other fast food, for that matter).

I wait until the boil starts to drink, and even then it's usually only 1-2.

However, you should know by now that ANY idea you have while druck is NEVER a Good Idea the next day.
Fixed that for you. They're Fantastic ideas at the moment!

I brewed my last batch dry, and I found out that brewing is pretty easy when you've got all your wits about you!

I also felt like it was too easy and I was forgetting something...

-Steve
+1 to this. AG is quite easy and as I continue on it gets easier and I think I'm missing half my day, but my beer just gets better and better.

Happy to say that I've been McDonald's free for more than 2 years (or any other fast food, for that matter).
This is ridiculous! I couldn't imagine no fast food for two years! I'd probably be rich!

Back