How do I Caculate AAU's in my Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-bag

Reaction score
OK so i was just planning out some recipes using the different types of hops im growing and WAIT A MINUTE! How do I know how many AAU's are in my hops? Im growing cascade, centennial, mt.hood and sterling Halp!???????!:confused::rockin:

Most people on here have just been taking the general range for the hop in question and splitting it down the middle... for example Cascade Hop - Alpha Acid: 5-7% would be 6% for our usages..

This is why a lot of folks use a purchased hop for bittering and homegrown hops for flavor/aroma/dryhop

But, if you're not too picky about it, just use the estimated AA number and call it close enough.

From The hombrewers garden
Here they are describing the brewing practices of a friend, they also mention a taste-titration method, and the option of brewing two identical batches (one with comm hops and the other with yours)

"He assumes that his hops are the freshest and strongest available, and then uses the commercial specification for the hop variety he is using as a guideline. He always adds a little less of his hops than is called for in recipes to account for the homegrown freshness factor. He says that he has yet to overbitter any of his beers using this simple method."

-Ander

I use the midrange method described by nealf. Just take notes and adjust future batches if you are dissatisfied with the bitterness or hop flavor in your beers.

The only way to be 100% sure is pay a lot of money to a lab, and I've not yet heard where those labs are or how much "a lot of money" is ;) I've just repeatedly heard that...

Sadly there is no method for home testing - at one stage we thought there was an acceptable acid titration , but it was not truly an accurate test.

Most people stick to aroma use and thus it is not that important to have fully accurate data.

Someone posted a method on here within the last six months that SWMBO said that she thought that she could duplicate in her medical lab. I don't do chem. speak but the process made sense to her and the only thing I remember about the process was the use of a chemical called "toulene". Maybe someone will find it.

What i did with my first year hops was estimate down the middle of the range like a previous post said. I found that the beer was not bitter enough and with the second batch used the low end of the range, that seemed to work much better. Bottom line is that you'll be guessing. I recall reading somewhere that by about the 3rd year you they start to realize their full potential in terms of AAU.

I can offer a method that I have used with some success that will get you close enough. This method was posted on the HBD many years ago. Buy a fresh sample with a known AA% of the same variety as your homegrown hops. Weigh out equal amounts of the known AA% hops and your HG hops. Brew two separate teas with each amount of hops using equal amounts of water. Pour equal amounts of each "hop tea" into separate tea cups. With the tea made from the known AA% hops, add measured amounts of sugar, tasting the tea with each addition of sugar until the perceived bitterness is gone. Keep track of how much sugar you add to overcome the bitterness. Repeat with the tea made from your homegrown hops, again keeping track of how much sugar you add. Determine the ratio of the amount of sugar needed to over come the bitterness in the homegrown hop tea to the amount of sugar needed to overcome the bitterness in the known AA% hop tea. For example if you make a tea with known 5% AA hops and it took 5 teaspoons of sugar to overcome the bitterness, while it only took four teaspoons of sugar to overcome the bitterness of the tea made with your homegrown hops, then the ratio is 4/5. Once this ratio is determined, simply multiply the known AA% by the ratio to determine the AA% of the home grown hops. In our example the ratio was 4/5 or 0.8, so for a known 5% AA hop the equation would be 5 * 0.8 = 4.0% AA for the homegrown hops. I hope this helps.

BorderBrewer

I can offer a method that I have used with some success that will get you close enough. This method was posted on the HBD many years ago. Buy a fresh sample with a known AA% of the same variety as your homegrown hops. Weigh out equal amounts of the known AA% hops and your HG hops. Brew two separate teas with each amount of hops using equal amounts of water. Pour equal amounts of each "hop tea" into separate tea cups. With the tea made from the known AA% hops, add measured amounts of sugar, tasting the tea with each addition of sugar until the perceived bitterness is gone. Keep track of how much sugar you add to overcome the bitterness. Repeat with the tea made from your homegrown hops, again keeping track of how much sugar you add. Determine the ratio of the amount of sugar needed to over come the bitterness in the homegrown hop tea to the amount of sugar needed to overcome the bitterness in the known AA% hop tea. For example if you make a tea with known 5% AA hops and it took 5 teaspoons of sugar to overcome the bitterness, while it only took four teaspoons of sugar to overcome the bitterness of the tea made with your homegrown hops, then the ratio is 4/5. Once this ratio is determined, simply multiply the known AA% by the ratio to determine the AA% of the home grown hops. In our example the ratio was 4/5 or 0.8, so for a known 5% AA hop the equation would be 5 * 0.8 = 4.0% AA for the homegrown hops. I hope this helps.

BorderBrewer
WOW KICK ASS. SCIENCE!!!!:rockin::ban:

only thing I remember about the process was the use of a chemical called "toulene".

That'd be toluene.

Here's the post:
One of the guys in my club found this. You may need access to a nice lab to do it though.

Alpha and Beta Acids in Hops
(reference: ASBC MoA. 8th edition, 1992)
Method
1. Place 5.000 +/- .001 gr pulverized hops in an extraction bottle and add 100 mL toluene.
2. Shake for 30 min with vigorous agitation.
3. Let stand until clear or centrifuge (preferred).
4. Dilution A: Dilute 5.0 ml of this extract to 100 mL with methanol.
5. Dilution B: Dilute an aliquot of the dilution A with alkaline methanol (0.2 mL 6M NaOH per 100 mL MeOH) so that the Abs at 325 and 355 falls within the most accurate range of the instrument.
6. Immediately read dilution B (1 cm) at 275, 325 and 355 vs a toluene blank that was prepared and diluted in EXACTLY the same manner.
Notes:
? Hexane may be substituted for toluene
Calculations:
Dilution factor, d= (volume dil A x volume dil B)/ (500 x aliq extract A x aliq dil A)
% alpha acids= d x (-51.56 A355+ 73.79 A325-19.07 A275)
% beta acids= d x (55.57 A355-47.59 A325 + 5.10 A275)
Example:
1. 5 gr hops extracted with 10 mL toluene
2. 5 mL clear extract diluted to 100 mL with methanol=Dilution A
3. 3 mL Dilution A diluted to 50 mL with alkaline methanol
4. Absorbances
o A355=0.615
o A325= 0.596
o A275=0.132
d = (100 x 50) / (500 x 5 x 3) = 0.667
alpha = 0.667 x [ -(51.56 x 0.615) + (73.79 x 0.596) - (19.07 x 0.132) = 6.5
beta = 0.667 x [ (55.57 x 0.615) - (47.59 x 0.596) + (5.10 x 0.132) = 4.3
:cross:
EDIT: :off:
http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/RocketFuelFAQ.html

You could try 1 gallon batches and trial and error it.

I've got 6 different hops, now and I have no idea what the aau% is for any of them.

Back