Two Hearted Ale vs. AHs clone - interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I purchased an AHS Two Hearted clone a few weeks ago even though I still have issues with a kit they sent me . . . but that is another story.

Now granted the clone has only been bottled for 2 weeks but was getting RAVE reviews from friend. Then I brought out the real deal to compare.

The thing was was that AHS used Amarillo hops while Bell's uses Centennial (hops shortage I guess last month).

How do they compare?

If you ever want to get a real good idea of hops flavoring this was it. There were two differences. The AHS close was lower ABV. I believe this came from AHS and their American Ale 1056 TRYING to get down to 1.008. Now I've never been able to get a 1056 down that low. 95% of the time I stop at 1.012.

But the big (little actually) difference was the hop. AHS hit this one on the exact head with malt. The only difference was Amarillo vs. Centennial.

The Amarillo was . . . rounder, more grapfruity and WONDERFUL - Bell's was crisper. Both were good and now I MUST try one with Centennial but I tell ya - I am really growing into Amarillo. The more times I use it the more I like it.

Below are the two together. Left is AHS clone with a gulp out of it and just a tiny tad darker. Right is Bell's. Both have been sitting for 4 or 5 minutes (while I run out to the car for the camera).

Good job AHS.

DSC_0227x.jpg

That clone is on my shortlist to brew in the next few months. Thanks for the review.

Their kit HAD Amarillo and I think they changed it recently back to Centennial. I have to think it would be an exact match now.

Yea - I really did not mind since I love Amarillo. I wantto try that recipe with various hops now, not just Centennial but maybe Galana if I can find it Sterling? Saaz?

Yea - I really did not mind since I love Amarillo. I wantto try that recipe with various hops now, not just Centennial but maybe Galana if I can find it Sterling? Saaz?

I suppose that depends on your intent. Galena is citrusy, but not nearly to the level of Amarillo, Centennial or Cascade. It's really more in place in malt-focused English styles like stouts and porters, though I've used in bitters as well. A really nice hop.

Sterling and Saaz are spicy and herbal medium AA varieties, much better in lagers and wheats.

This is what was sent to me for a Mini Mash. The nest time I'll be switching out some LME for more DME and maybe add more 2-row - Have not worked out the BeerSmith stuff yet

OG should be 1.062 (mine was 1.068)
FG should be 1.008 (mine was 1.012)

Extra Pale LME 5.5lb

2.5lb 2-Row
0.5lb Carapils
0.5lb Crystal 20L
0.5lb Munich

0.5oz Amarillo First WORT
1.0oz Centennial 60min
0.5oz Amarillo 60 Min
0.25oz Amarillo 40min
0.25oz Amarillo 30min
0.25oz Amarillo 20min
0.25oz Amarillo 15min
0.25oz Amarillo 5min
0.25z Amarillo Dry Hop day 6
0.25z Amarillo Dry Hop - secondary

Wyeast American Ale 1056 STARTER (how can you get to 1.008 ???)

I boiled two half batches at once (full boil-ish)

Mini Mashed at 153 for 45 minutes.

Pitched yeast at 76 (25 minutes after boil) Main Fermentation was at 66 and fermentation started after 3 hours.

I'm actually kegging this clone on Saturday. I brewed the AHS clone about a month ago. Mine was the extract kit, but I too received their version with Amarillo hops. I'm glad to hear it turned out so well. I hadn't had Two Hearted for a long time (they just started distributing in IL again), but had one yesterday and it was drier than I remembered. I'm super excited to try the clone now based on your description. If it's better than the original I'm going to be one very happy camper!

Back