auto-siphon hose size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I use an autosiphon for racking (wow - what a hassle-saver!)

I am not sure that 3/8 tubing is the right size, since I can get air sucked into the ens...

Is 5/16 a better size ??

there's a batch of auto-siphons with the wrong diameter hose listed...that's too small to work well. you want 3/8"...the same size that fits on a bottling bucket/bottle wand.

Sorry, I have to disagree. 3/8" hose is too big for the 3/8" cane. You'll suck air. Even with a clamp it can be a problem. If you use 5/16", it's a little tricky to get it on, but it's a tight seal and doesn't pull air. I've tried both and now continue to buy the 5/16". Numerous folks on here had 3/8" and posted here asking why they lose siphon after a few seconds.

I use 3/8, but you have to use a hose clamp of the right size (#4). I you use 5/16, soak it in hot water before you try to slide it on or off.

+1 on the hot water soak...I have to do it everytime and it still goes on tight...BUt it works awsome...Best 10 bucks I have spent on brew stuff.

all i know is I have 3/8" tubing and I never had a problem. i bought 5/16" for my mini-siphon, and I don't think I can get it off the cane unless I cut it.

*shrugs*

my auto-siphon is like 9 years old, perhaps its a little different.

Sorry, I have to disagree. 3/8" hose is too big for the 3/8" cane. You'll suck air. Even with a clamp it can be a problem. If you use 5/16", it's a little tricky to get it on, but it's a tight seal and doesn't pull air. I've tried both and now continue to buy the 5/16". Numerous folks on here had 3/8" and posted here asking why they lose siphon after a few seconds.

Thank you
I had the best siphon over the weekend because of this advice. I have always struggled with the air in the 3/8 tubing and loosing siphons; it got so bad 1 time I tried a dirty hose clamp from the garage, which of course I dropped into the bottling bucket after siphoning. 5/16 created a 1 pull, 5 gallon siphon....thanks again

I went back to the old racking cane/siphon technique after breaking the inside of the autosiphon...

Thank you
I had the best siphon over the weekend because of this advice. I have always struggled with the air in the 3/8 tubing and loosing siphons; it got so bad 1 time I tried a dirty hose clamp from the garage, which of course I dropped into the bottling bucket after siphoning. 5/16 created a 1 pull, 5 gallon siphon....thanks again

See. Proof that I'm not ALWAYS completely full of sheeet.

I have a piece of scotch tape wrapped around the cane a couple of times.

Probably not a "best practice" in terms of sanitation, but it does get a good soak with starsan.

I have tried both, and the 5/16 works much better. The trick to removing the hose from the cane is to push and twist to loosen it instead of pulling, and doing it immediately after completing the siphon.

If you get the hose hot and slide it over the cane as much as possible, you should be able to see where the air is getting in. If a hose clamp doesn't fix it, then get the 5/16" line. And leave it on there.

I went back to the old racking cane/siphon technique after breaking the inside of the autosiphon...

+1, I do it the old fashioned way. I just got one of those fancy stainless steel racking canes (on sale at AHS!!) and man is it nice. The inner diameter is much larger and the siphon goes noticeably faster as a result. Plus, it has an electro-polished inside so nothing sticks to it.

Back