Question on Harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
When the cones become ready to pick, does the whole vine generally get harvested or do the comes ripenat different rates.....I have some first year cascades that have lots of cones on them, but picking them individually when they become ready would be a pain in the Ars.

On the second hand, they all didn't form at the same time, there are some lower shoots that are just now beggining to flower, so who knows.....

You will probably get multiple crops. I would wait until you have enough ripe to make it worth your while. Leaving them on the vine isn't going to hurt much. They may get a little more brown, but after long enough time, they will just fall off on their own.

The companies will cut the whole bine, but that is because they use machines to harvest, and harvesting that many with your hands would be very difficult on a ladder. Even those that strip the flowers by hand do it on a table or something.

At home you will likely want to see if you can get more than one picking. I only had a few flowers last year, so it was pretty much one harvest. This year I see tons more, and hope to get a couple of pickings.

Harvesting while on the vine is my ticket. I usually wait until the secondary burs come in and harvest what is on the bine at that time. The cones feel papery, some are open, some bracts are turning brown, while others are just forming and some burs develop. I get two harvests; One about this time and one in early to mid September.

Good luck, I gots to go pick about 15# of hops off one Cascade Rhizome, poor me....

WW

Harvesting while on the vine is my ticket. I usually wait until the secondary burs come in and harvest what is on the bine at that time. The cones feel papery, some are open, some bracts are turning brown, while others are just forming and some burs develop. I get two harvests; One about this time and one in early to mid September.

Good luck, I gots to go pick about 15# of hops off one Cascade Rhizome, poor me....

WW

15lbs off of one rhizome? that can't be right...

Back