Got Cones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have small buds on my Mounty Hood, but on my Cascade (second year for both) I have maybe a couple hundred cones the size of small pine cones. Awesome. I will post a picture shortly.

My recollection is that you wait until the outer part of the flower (er...cone) is dry and papery and brown on the edges, more or less. This sound right?

I harvested one first year Cascade bine yesterday. The edges were papery and the tips were turning a little brown. It came in at .8oz. Still have 3 more that are in process. Not a lot but .8 more than I expected.

Also just harvested one bine today, from my first year Zeus. I think more are coming, but what was on the bine was getting too brown to leave much longer. My Cascade has cones that aren't far behind so i may pick those after the Zeus are done drying. With the recent heat i've seen a huge increase in sidearm growth so hopefully i will get another harvest out of both. Is that normal for warmer climates?

here are some crappy cell phone pics.

0617092046.jpg
[/IMG]

0617092040.jpg
[/IMG]

i have already harvested the first cones of the year. i got a full 2oz dry from my cascade

I'm in Olive Branch and havent seen a cone yet on my Centennials. My Nugget plants were consumed by some type of catapillar. Are yours 1st year plants??? I knew I should have bought some Cascades.

I was gone all last week and had my neighbor watering my first year hops. Luckily came home to the Hallertau growing another 5 feet and reaching the top of the rope (about 15 feet) and the Willamette still sending off side shoots and secondary bines like crazy.

The Hallertau has flowers everywhere and my question is whether I should stop fertilizing or if now is the time to fertilize more? I haven't put down a handful of 12-12-12 around the plants in a month and was going to but thought I read somewhere here that you aren't supposed to once they start flowering. Am I making this up?

I'm in Olive Branch and havent seen a cone yet on my Centennials. My Nugget plants were consumed by some type of catapillar. Are yours 1st year plants??? I knew I should have bought some Cascades.

my cascade is a crown that was 40 years old so they arnt really a second year plant.

Arizona Hops, I have planted some 1st yr Warrior hops. I put it in the ground in mid April, my plant took off slow, only one bine. The first bine grew to like 4' or so and then a new sprout came up and took off like mad. So far the plant seems to be doing great, no real effects of the Arizona sun so far, I have no cones but many buds, say 30 or 40, so far. I only am able to grow it 6 feet tall, and then i have some horizontal rope, the bines dont seem to prefer to grow this way as i have to train them every day around the rope.

Any others that have grown in AZ?? Any results?

Yup. I'm up in the NW part of the Valley. 1st year Cascade and Horizon. Already harvested one bine from the Cascade which yielded .8oz. Three more bines with burrs and cones. No burrs yet on the Horizon but is sending off side arms. We'll see as the heat continues to climb.

In Delaware and I've got cones on my Nugget and Centennial. Both are 2nd year plants.

Back