sam adams white ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldesign

Reaction score
anyone have it or close to it that they made and was good.

I dunno if they just cleaned the lines or what but I had one (well 3) at a restaurant the other night and I was blown away... so good I really enjoyed it. nice cloudy and the citrus flavor was perfect.

they have a good write up on the website about 9 spices, yadda...

anyone have something AG or partial?

I also just tried this beer, and I as well thought this beer was really good. I would like to make my own batch of a "white ale." If anyone has a good recipe for one and would like to share that would be great.

I don't have a recipe, but I think that it is done (loosely) in the style of a Belgian Wit. There are some Blue Moon clone recipes around . . . but the SA White Ale is much spicier than that IMO. There have been some Hoegarten (sp?) clones around, too . . . but I've never had the privilege of tasting that beer.

If you don't get any response, use a Belgian Wit recipe and add those other spices to the recipe in varying amounts. I would wager that the coriander is the major spice used in that brew.

By the way . . . I can't get enough of that SA White Ale. It is good! :drunk:

never found a recipe for it so I made this..not 100% any style we shall see. kegging in a day or so I'll let you know.

EBH WITBIER
6 lbs ultra-light malt extract (1/2 at 60 and 1/2 at 15minutes)
1 Lbs 2-row
1 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 16.2 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.8 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (60 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1.00 oz Coriander Seed Crushed(1/2 @ 10min, 1/2 @ flame out) Misc
1.00 oz (1/2 Orange Peel Bitter and 1/2 Orange Peel Sweet)
(1/2 each @ 10min, 1/2 each @ flame out) Misc
Safbrew T-58 dry yeast

Made this one based on the web site specs and talking to the Brewer at local Micro:

6.6 Lbs Liquid Wheat Extract 60% 40% split
1# Flaked Wheat
1 oz Tettnanger pellets (60 min)
.5oz Tettnang leaf (30 min)
.5oz Tettnang leaf (Aroma)
at flame out
.5oz bitter and sweet orange peel
.5oz lemon peel,
.5oz dried plum,
.5 oz crushed grains of paradise,
.5oz crushed coriander,
.5oz anise,
.5oz dried hibiscus,
.5 oz rose hips,
.5oz tamarind,
.5oz crushed vanilla beans.
in a bag, let sit 10 min before chilling then pour wort thru the spice bag into primary, then add bag contents and let them settle out.
wyeast 3944

No clarifyer, to keep the chill haze

Will let you guys know how it turns out

budbo - wow man killer spice additions! without a doubt post back on the first glass or bottle. I read the site but they had no real indications of additions other that 9 spices or so - I'm guessing you got'em all. it is a truely good commercial brew IMO.

I racked mine last night - super duper light and hazy. the T-58 had a super fine light yeast cake in secondary. interesting taste at the least without carbonation. verdict is out for 4-5 more days in a frosted mug. my first attempt at this style so who knows - little spicy, little orangey, slightly hopped and yeasty.

this is pretty good - lightly orange and bitter. note will be to add more IBU as well as some wheat malt. nice golden cloudy color and a huge white head, tasty summer brew - going to try a orange slice when I get some.

EBH WITBIER 6 lbs ultra-light malt extract (1/2 at 60 and 1/2 at 15minutes) 1 Lbs 2-row 1 lbs Wheat said:
(60 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1.00 oz Coriander Seed Crushed(1/2 @ 10min, 1/2 @ flame out) Misc
1.00 oz (1/2 Orange Peel Bitter and 1/2 Orange Peel Sweet)
(1/2 each @ 10min, 1/2 each @ flame out) Misc
Safbrew T-58 dry yeast

jldesign said:
this is pretty good - lightly orange and bitter. note will be to add more IBU as well as some wheat malt. nice golden cloudy color and a huge white head, tasty summer brew - going to try a orange slice when I get some.

followup:
3 weeks kegged at 50 degree and a slice of orange - perfect! I'd still up the IBU but just slightly. my wife loves it and the orange slice really set the profile off it is a worthy rebrew IMO.

Made this one based on the web site specs and talking to the Brewer at local Micro:

1# Flaked Wheat
at flame out
.5oz lemon peel,
.5oz dried plum,
.5oz crushed coriander,
.5oz anise,
.5oz dried hibiscus,
.5 oz rose hips,
.5oz tamarind,
in a bag, let sit 10 min before chilling then pour wort thru the spice bag into primary, then add bag contents and let them settle out.
wyeast 3944

Budbo, I'd love to do a clone of SWA. How did this turn out with all the additions of spice?

With Sam cancelling white ale this year, my girlfriend (she's heartbroken) would love for me to try to clone it. Did anyone get results from budbo's recipe?

Well, I've still got to get down to the brewery to find out if it will be available in some way, shape, or form this year. What I do know is that my local bars have switched from Winter Lager to the brand new Noble Pils on the seasonal taps. I'm actually really excited - its a light pilsner style lager that's hopped almost like an IPA with all 5 noble hops. It tastes great, and I'll probably enjoy it more than I enjoyed white ale (too spicy for me to drink more than two).

Interesting...I'm looking forward to trying that. Last year I wasn't too pleased with the white ale but I still have fond memories of that beer from a few years ago...

Interesting...I'm looking forward to trying that. Last year I wasn't too pleased with the white ale but I still have fond memories of that beer from a few years ago...

I grabbed a 12 of the Noble Pils. Its a great beer, but sad that its at the expense of the white ale.

Its not truly going away, it will be available as one of six styles in the Samuel Winter Classics variety pack.

Samuel Adams White Ale will be available as one of six styles in the 2010 Samuel Adams Winter Classics variety pack.

I just bottled my take on this... unfortunately the star of anise is dominating everything, even though I only used about 4g of it (or maybe one of the other things tastes like licorice too?)

We'll see how it tastes after it's bottle conditioned. Hopefully it mellows out, or i might have to give this one to the jagermeister crowd...

Opened my first bottle today (a little sneak preview before the big debut in another week or two). It's been +6 months since I've tasted Sam Adams white so I can't compare it. I think it's too busy - too many conflicting spices or something, and a slightly bitter note too it. Plus the star of anise dominates. I don't think the spice balance is quite right - feels like they are fighting instead of complimenting.

We'll see how it ages!

Just a quick follow up. While I didn't think it was that great, my Sam Adams White clone is probably the most liked beer by my friends out of all the ones I brewed.

I think if I do this again, I won't use star of anise. It's not my favorite flavor. But I wonder if that's the flavor that everyone else loves so much? Hmmm....

1# Flaked Wheat
at flame out
.5oz lemon peel,
.5oz dried plum,
.5oz crushed coriander,
.5oz anise,
.5oz dried hibiscus,
.5 oz rose hips,
.5oz tamarind,
wyeast 3944

i know this thread is old, but has anyone done this recipe? wife wants me to brew the sam adams white ale, this one looks cool with all the spices.

See my note above - I thought the star of anise dominated. I didn't like it that much because of that, but my friends loved it. I entered it in a beer brewing competition as a wit beer and only scored a 22, but a) it was probably not a good competition idea anyway (didn't turn out "white"), and b) it was before I had a temp control set up.

Oops - I just realized the recipe i used was not the same as the one here. What I did was

6 2/3 lb wheat LME
21 g tettnanger @ 60 min
21g Saaz @ 30 min
7g Saaz @ Flame OUt
Spice @ Flame out: 7 g coriander, 7g grains of paradice, 4g star of anise, 9g dried plum, 5g rose hips, 7g orange peel bitter, 7g lemon peel, 1 valnilla bean.
WLP 400 Belgian Wit

Some of the beer judge comments I got were (remember, this is judging this beer as a belgian wit, not as a sam adams white):
Aroma missing sweetness or floral
Color amber to copper, missing white cloudiness
Hops come through when they should not
Watch use of extracts for this style which needs unmalted wheat
In general tone beer down a bit
Spices made beer astringent

Anyway, it's been so long since I"ve had Sam Adams White that I don't remember it very well. I do remember loving it though...

About 3 weeks ago I brewed my take on the Sam Adams white ale. It was one of my favorites so I had to give it a shot. At first it was extremely spicy, a TON of stuff going on, to much I would say. I tried it again when I put in in the secondary last week and it was amazing. My girlfriend wanted to drink it all as is, not cold and uncarbonated, and she doesn't like beer. (I am working on her). Needless to say I can not wait to bottle and taste it. I hope to age it but I am afraid it won't last once bottled. I will bottle in a week and I will keep you guys posted on the final product.

1/4 lb two row malt
1/4 lb light wheat
6 lb briefs wheat DME
1oz Hallertau (NZ) hop pellets

And for the tricky stuff:
16 seeds of paradise (crushed)
.25oz corrander seeds (crushed)
.25oz bitter orange peel
.25oz lemon peel
2 tbsp rose hips
2 tbsp hibiscus flower
4 stars of anise (this was about 1 tbsp when broken up)
1 vanilla bean cut open and up (this made about 1 tsp when chopped)
1/4 cup dried plums (chopped)
1 tsp sweet tamarind (with seeds)

I had to drive all over town to find tamarind, I ended up at an Asian only market and they had it. If you have not seen it before it comes in a hard shell and looks like large beans. Inside is a sticky paste so if you can only find the "paste" I am sure it is the same stuff. I had no idea what I was looking for though so I hope this saves you guys the trouble. It was 2.99 for a huge box of them.

Steep the grains for 15 min at 150.

Add the DME and hops, boil for 35 min
Then add ALL spices to wort and boil for 10 min.
(Total boil time after steeping was 45 min)

Quickly cool wort, strain off all spices (it's a lot), and put the wort in the fermenter.

OG 1.060

I will add my final gravity in a few days and let you know how it's looking.

And I just realized I didn't save the yeast... I will get that info tomorrow and also post it. Sorry about that.

Hi Snowbird,

I just found this thread. I know it's been a few years, but how did your SA White clone turn out? Did you make it again?

Thanks,

Back