I think i screwed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
My first batch in a VERY long time. I am concerned because I think I aerated too soon. I aerated then took the gravity reading (not easy in all that foam) then pitched the yeast. Should I have taken the gravity before aerating ? Also is it a problem if my gravity reading is not exact. Like I said it was tuff to see in the foam.

Oh and also I'm not sure what the temp should be in the place I have the fermenting bucket. I brewed an Irish red. Should the bucket be in a cool or warm place ? Or doesn't it matter.

Dont worry as many on here will tell you....your making beer! Seriously dont panic over og or fg period! Ride it out and relax i dont think you screwed up unless you pitched yeast in boiling water. Beer is tough! Dont underestimate it ...took me awhile to get that but its true.

Edit i would try for 70-75 if possible just try and control much as possible with the heat wave. Best temp i can get is 74 its rough.

No problem your beer will be fine. I always take my OG after aerating. Re how exact your OG reading was, do you mean you couldn't exactly tell what the reading was or do you mean it wasn't exactly what was expected? If you're brewing extract, you have to make some pretty major mistakes for the actual OG to come out more than about half a point from the expected OG, though the reading might be off by quite a bit due to the difficulty of thoroughly mixing the concentrated wort from a partial boil with the top-up water. In any case, the OG is needed to calculate the ABV after fermentation is finished. For all grain brewers it's needed to calculate brewehoue/mash efficiency.

Re your fermenting temperature, coolish is better. If you can maintain an ambient temperature in the mid 60Fs, that's ideal. That goes for most ale styles. Fermentation is an endothermic process, so the temperature in the bucket will be higher than the ambient temperature by a few degrees F.

Back