diseased centennial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
more newb posting here. my first year centennial has some kind of issue. the lower leaves have started turning black, starting at the tips and creaping towards the stem. i'll try to get pics when i get home, but i don't know for sure that my camera works. additional info: it's planted in a cedar planter with tons of drainage. i don't think it's been under or over watered. no signs of bugs at all. the soil is a mix of vegetable potting soil, homegrown compost and chicken manure.

as promised, photos!
06302011008-1.jpg

06302011007-1.jpg

and, not as promised, one more grumpy-looking hop.
this is on the mystery hop, any it's got this white crud on it; this is the worst leaf i saw, but it is evident through the bottom half of the plant.
06302011011-1-1.jpg

i have been applying insecticidal soap due to aphids, so it's possible that it's residue from that, but it doesn't seem to wipe off

The same thing has been happening to my plants. I have no idea whats causing it, I just assumed it was because it gets to 110 every day and never rains.

I'm guessing you're watering and/or spraying the insecticidal soap when the sun is shining?

no. the soap is going on in full shade when the chance of sun for the day has passed. it is not sunburn.

the centennial with the black spots has not been getting soaped, as there have been no insects on it (fingers crossed).
the centennial has only been getting water (rarely necessary around here right now, and only after sunset) and superthrive on occasion.

my hop expert friend says its probably a potassium deficiency. more research online agrees with that, or maybe a calcium deficiency.

Latest posts

Back