another wyeast smack pack issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
well i got another belgian wit 3944 wyeast pack in the mail. let it come down to room temp then smacked it.

24hrs later. nothing.

now what?? wait?? make starter?? wyeast during the summer sucks.:confused:

Your sure the inner pack is broken? If so, I would think 24 hrs. is plenty of time. I guess you should try a starter and if that doesn't work, run to your LHBS (if you have one) and pick up some yeast. I hope you weren't planning on brewing any time soon.

i smacked the s*&$ out of it, i guess it broke; how do i know for sure???

i smacked the s*&$ out of it, i guess it broke; how do i know for sure???

Feel around for a firm little packet in there. Your supposed to locate the inner nutrient packet, push it to the corner and smack it directly, confirm it's broken, and give the pouch a shake to ensure the yeast and the nutrient is well mixed.

I just did one yesterday. I wasn't sure if the yeast would be good as I had it shipped during the early June heat wave. But an hour later the pack was expanded and 3 hours later it looked like it would burst. I left it out overnight and brewed first thing this morning. I'm starting to see signs of fermentation, about 10 hours later. Obviously I didn't follow everyone's advice and make a starter.

well i got another belgian wit 3944 wyeast pack in the mail. let it come down to room temp then smacked it.

24hrs later. nothing.

now what?? wait?? make starter?? wyeast during the summer sucks.:confused:

I had a problem where the inner pack broke, but the contents didn't emty from it. I didn't have any activity the same as you. I cut open both packs, made a starter and it all worked fine.

Liquid yeast in the summer by mail-order is an iffy thing. I would either go to the LHBS to get liquid yeast in the summer or just use dry yeast.

I beat the crap out of my pack, and finally had to cut the inner pack open with scissors. Thought it was me being a newbie, so this makes me feel better!

Latest posts

Back