Critique a Maibock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromwell

Reaction score
I'm going to try my first brew where I don't just copy someone else's recipe.
I'm going for a Maibock, but I want it full-flavored.
Here's what I'm thinking:

8# Golden Promise
4# Munich
Mashed at 150

1.5 oz Saaz FWH
Ferment at 45F 7-10 days, then finish at 55F, and lager at 35 for a month.

I'm hoping the substitution of Golden Promise for Pilsner won't darken it much but provide an extra malt kick.

I think you will want some hops at 60 and also some finishing hops. Your beer, will be underbittered with this hop schedule. 30-45 IBU for a maibock is right on IMO.

Beersmith shows bitterness for a Maibock should be between 23 and 35 IBU. Using 1.5 oz of Saaz (my Saaz is 7% AA), puts it at 26.5 which is just a bit on the low side.
Is Beersmith misleading me? Brewing Classic styles has a maibock that's even lower at 22 IBUs and no finishing hops.

I thought a maibock didn't have a lot of hop presence?

I'm going to try my first brew where I don't just copy someone else's recipe.
I'm going for a Maibock, but I want it full-flavored.
Here's what I'm thinking:

8# Golden Promise
4# Munich
Mashed at 150

1.5 oz Saaz FWH
Ferment at 45F 7-10 days, then finish at 55F, and lager at 35 for a month.

I'm hoping the substitution of Golden Promise for Pilsner won't darken it much but provide an extra malt kick.

I'd suggest using a 70/30 blend of Vienna and Pilsner. Not saying what you have won't taste good but UK pale malt just doesn't taste "German". I also agree with the poster above to perhaps add just a touch of middle and late hops. You still want the beer to be malt forward but a little bit of hop in the background will help with the balance. I also prefer German hops in this style but the Saaz will surely work for bittering.

Back