All Grain Stout Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Ok, so I just did my first all grain batch which was an American IPA. I kinda made it up in Brewsmith to fall within the style and here's what I ended up with:

Ingredients
Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
0.50 lb Carared
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] (70 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (15 min) Hops
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (2 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
1.00 oz Cascade Leaf [5.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale
Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Bitterness: 57.4 IBU Calories: 231 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.8 SRM

Now, I'm thinking of pitching a stout on the yeast cake so I'm in a bit of a hurry to figure out a recipe. Any ideas for a simple moderate stout using the ingredients I have in inventory below? I think I'd like something moderate, not too dry. Is it blasphemous to not use an Irish ale yeast?

Name Type Inventory
Barley, Flaked Grain 2.00 lb
Black Barley (Stout) Grain 1.00 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L Grain 3.00 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L Grain 2.00 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L Grain 1.00 lb
Carared Grain 0.50 lb
Melanoiden Malt Grain 1.50 lb
Oats, Flaked Grain 2.00 lb
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 42.00 lb
Pilsner (2 Row) Ger Grain 6.00 lb
Vienna Malt Grain 2.00 lb
Wheat Malt, Ger Grain 9.00 lb

Amarillo Gold Hops 3.00 oz
Cascade Leaf Hops 3.00 oz
Cascade Pellet Hops 4.00 oz
Chinook Hops 1.00 oz
Fuggles Hops 4.00 oz
Hallertauer Hops 4.00 oz
Northern Brewer Leaf Hops 4.00 oz
Tettnang Hops 8.00 oz

Milk Sugar (Lactose) Sugar 1.00 lb

Nottingham Yeast Yeast-Ale 3 Pkgs
SafAle English Ale Yeast-Ale 2 Pkgs
SafBrew Ale Yeast-Ale 1 Pkgs

Depends on what type of stout you want...dry stout, milk stout, oatmeal stout all seem doable. As far as yeast goes, I think a nice british strain like nottingham will do a stout just right.

Bobby_M said:
Is it blasphemous to not use an Irish ale yeast?

Heck no! Like clay says, Nottingham is a good clean yeast.

Ok I see Northern Brewer and Fuggles.

I see your Black malt if you go higher than 45 use at least 12 oz, and Pale Malt and some dark crystal for a little deep caramel notes. Mash at 154 for a higher FG. Maybe throw in a lb of Vienna for some maltiness.

1084 Irish Ale Yeast
Wyeast says: Slight residual diacetyl and fruitiness; great for stouts. Clean, smooth, soft and full-bodied. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation - 71-75%. (62-72°F).
Sort of like a slightly cleaner version of 1028, but with a touch more diacetyl. If fermented warm (>70°F), seems to produce a pronounced tart fruitiness.
Claimed to be the Guinness strain. It is worth noting that Guinness supposedly allows their fermentation temperature to rise into the mid-70s. I wonder how much of the signature Guinness "tang" is actually due to the high fermentation temperature, and not to the (rumored) procedure of blending it with soured beer?

I brew a Dry Irish Stout that always gets good reviews. I always have some available. It's posted here.

You have milk sugar, so you can do a sweet stout if you want. Leave it out and you'll have something more along the lines of a traditional stout. Any of those yeast strains should work.

Above you have black barley listed, which is roasted barley. In the states "black" barley is often a higher lovibond than roasted barley. Black patent or black malt are not what you want, so depending on what you actually have there, you could still do one.

Yeah I am a bit confused. I haven't heard of Black Barley so I assumed he meant Roasted Barley. I have heard of Black Malt, which is (obviously) malted and quite different. But I do agree, Roasted Barley is key to the Stout signature flavor. You can use it in conjunction with the Patent and Black Malt, but usually they are a fraction of the amount of Roasted Barley...at least in all the recipes I have seen.

Here's what I have: Briess American 1lb Black Barley Lov 550

Now, I see that Munton's has 2 Row 1lb Roasted Barley Lov 469-563

The B3 catalog has Black Patent (560L) and Black Roasted Barley (510L) (roasted prior to malting giving a slight flavor dif from Black Patent).

Ok, which do I have and if it's such a slight difference, should I still get a pound of roasted?

update, right from Briess:

Roasted Barley 300 Coffee, Intense Bitter, Dry Contributes strong roasted barley, coffee flavor notes characteristic of Stouts.

Black Barley
500 Coffee, Intense Bitter, Dry Black Barley provides the color and rich, sharp flavor which is characteristic of Stouts and some Porters.

I guess going with only black barley would be a bit too intense so I'll get the roasted as well. Another question I have is what effect using flaked oats would have on a stout say compared to a Guiness. Does it add sweetness or mouthfeel?

I think the black barley alone is fine. Most roasted are 450-500 L. I think Breiss is the only maltster I've seen with one as low as 350L. As long as you don't exceed 10% with the black I think you'd be OK. Flaked barley will add fermentables and mouthfeel. I helps the beers remain full bodied and creamy even though dry stouts typically finish very low 1.010 or lower in many cases (hence the dry stout).

Ok, messing around in beersmith and came up with this. How's she look?

American Oatmeal Stout

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.71 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48
qt)

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 62.2 %
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 8.9 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 8.9 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.9 %
0.50 lb Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.4 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.4 %

1.00 oz Northern Brewer Leaf [8.50%] (70 min) Hops 27.2 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (70 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-
Steep) Hops -

0.25 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 2.2 % (plan to reserve for keg so I can pitch to taste)

1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-)
[Cultured] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile (includes lactose)
Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.6 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 43.2 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 30.5 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion,
Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb
Sparge Water: 4.84 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F