grade of plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdean

Reaction score
I wondered what type of plastic bucket should the fermenter be made of? Is it ok to use hdpe plastic or only go with pet plastic?

According to my LHBSO (Local HomeBrew Store Owner) all HDPE #2 is not created equal. According to him the food grade buckets are made with a special process that makes them signifigantly less gas permeable than regular HDPE #2. He said he could not remember what markings to look for. But I did notice markings on his buckets from the plastic extruder that I did not see on the buckets in Wal-Mart.

I don't know maybe he just wants to sell his high priced buckets, it's not like he doesn't have a motive. But he seems knowledgeable and helpful plus he knew I was not in the market for a fermenter. We were just talking shop. He also said this is a fairly new development and the older buckets that are more gas permeable makes better tasting wine.

lpdean said:
If HDPE is gas permiable will your beer start to get taste carry over after a few batches?

I tend to let mine soak for a while when I clean them out, and that helps to remove any smells from the previous batch.

Best solution: get better bottles for all your fermenting needs. :)

I have a question about better bottles. Since they are plastic, don't you worry about having to use a big brush to scrub them out? hot water alone is never enough to get the junk off the side of my fermenter (which is a pale) So I use a rag to clean it becuase I dont want to use an abraisive.

The only thing I have to clean a carboy is a large carboy bottle brush, that's an abraisive. I'd be worried about creating little bacteria hangouts in a better bottle, whats the deal with that/

Orfy, do just shake up a better bottle with water and sanitizer then? How do you put pressure on the gunk on the insides of the better bottle? I can't fit my fist in there....

You never want to put a brush of any kind inside of a Better-Bottle. They state that on their website. I use Better-Bottles exclusively, and no scrubbing is necessary with an overnight soak of PBW and hot water. If there is some really stuck on gunk, I fill it about 1/4 of the way with hot water and PBW, insert a washcloth and a stopper and shake the crap out of it. The rubbing action of the cloth from the shaking has removed everything that I have had to deal with, even this RIS! After that, the overnight soak takes care of the rest.

4295-DSC02202.jpg

Back