Yeast Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haputanlas

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My LHBS has 3 separate choices of yeast for the same recipe. I was wondering if there would be much if any flavor difference between these three. The reason I ask is that the dry yeast is only $1.49 where the liquid yeasts are both $6.99

White Labs California Ale WLP001 (Liquid)
Wyeast American Ale 1056 (Liquid)
Danstar Nottingham Dry Yeast

There won't be too much difference between them. The 1056 and the 001 are the same yeast (the dry version of it is US-05). The Nottingham is going to be pretty close, although it may attenuate a bit more. They're all pretty neutral.

So would the US-05 be less expensive as well? I'm cool with that if it's the same yeast. I don't like spending more money than necessary. And, if Catch-22 is correct I don't want to add fruity flavors if it's not necessary.

S-05, 1056 and WLP001 are all the same. S-05 is cheaper and easier to use since you don't need a starter.

Nottingham has also had some issues lately. Apparently it was fixed, but people are still posting about problems with it. US-05 is a bit more expensive than Notty, but still much less than liquid. It'll ferment pretty clean if you keep the temps at 66 or less. I use US-05 a lot, and ferment around 62 or 63, with very good results. I know that the price for a packet has gone up to $3.50 or so, but my LHBS is still selling it for about $2. Not sure why, but I've been stocking up quietly. Still, at $3.50 or $3.75, it's much cheaper than liquid and you don't have to make a starter.

Nottingham, is a British style yeast, with simple esters and some fruitiness. The other two are the classic american ale yeast. It brews clean ,no esters and no fruit, it's by far the most common yeast used by american brewers. I myself think you need to master using this yeast first and foremost. I would think most home brewers, use this yeast for about 75% of their brews. If I need to make a choice I would go with the wlp001\wy1056 it's going to make a great beer.

plus the us-05 is reusable yeah? at least for about 4 batches?

I don't know where everyone is tasting this fruitiness from Notty. I've always found it to be very, very clean.

Peachy apricot is what I get and that is at all range temps. I split a batch of a Blonde ale with WLP001 and Notty, pitching rates were the same and in a blind, all tasters could pick out the 001 and the Notty. The only real difference was a percieved fruitiness. One taster even said...ooooh apricot.

My process may just be different but I get a slight hint of the aforementioned peach or apricot.

Back