Can Keg Leak through Ball Locks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I came back from a trip and found and a newly carbonated beer in the bottom of my keezer. Before I left, I disconned my out ball locks so my roommates didn't kill the whole thing before I returned. Well, I checked for leaks before I left but I guess I didn't do a good enough job because the CO2 pushed the beer through the out valve.

I was wondering if I had just left the black ball lock on out valve if I would have saved my beer? Can CO2 leak through the connected ball locks?

Yes it can. The poppets inside the valves can stick, so that it is partially open. You can push them out from the top and check them out. You may have one that is crooked, or just sticking because it's dirty maybe. Get some keg lube on the sealing surface of the poppet if you have some.

And yeah, you probably would have been in the clear if you had left it connected because then the poppet is pushed down and out of the picture. Still would have had problem somewhere down the road.

Yep, happens somewhat frequently. Might be time to do a keg rebuild if you haven't done it in a while (or dont know how many brews have been thru the keg).

Anywhere there is a piece that can be removed or where there is an O ring there is a potential leak point.

Just for fun I counted 9 easy places a keg can leak either beer or CO2.
poppet valve inlet & outlet
poppet housing to keg inlet & outlet
keg to line connections inlet & outlet
pressure relief to keg
pressure relief valve
keg lid

Back