Dried Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huggablejunk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I'll admit, I got a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas and now I'm reading up on everything with home brewing. I keep coming across the use of Dried Malt Extract. Could someone explain how I use this in one of the 2.5 Gallon Mr. Beer Recipes (Measurements specifically)? This is a substitute for the Booster, correct?

I realize Mr. Beer may be limited, but I wanted to try some of the more complex beers before deciding if I wanted to make this a long term hobby. I want to try to use good ingredients such as hops and DME with the Malt Extracts they provide in hopes of creating better beer?

I have my first batch brewing and I'm almost ready to order another fermentor; I'm giddy with excitement.

~HJ

Dried Malt Extract (DME) is the exact same thing as the Unhopped Malt Extract that you can buy from Mr. Beer, just in a dried form instead of liquid.

Just like in their own recipes they say that you can use unhopped malt extract (UME cans they call them) instead of the booster, you can do the exact same thing with DME.

UME is about 20% water, so if you would use a 2lb can of UME, use 1.6 pounds of DME.

BTW, if you're going to get another fermenter, I'd recommend getting a 5gal bucket instead of another Mr. Beer. It takes about the same amount of time to make 5 gallons (maybe 15 minutes more for the time to boil) and you get 2.5 times as much beer.

According to Revvy, the Mr. Beer barrel kicks ass for lagering though.

Back