2009 Dechutes Jubelale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Oswegan, how did your recipe turn out last year? Wanting to get a clone of Jubelale going soon and wondering which of these recipes to use.

Like many of you guys on here, used to live in PDX and have great memories of this beer. No chance of getting in here in Alabama, so I'm going to brew my own.

Yeah Oswegan! I am curious too.. I wanted to brew this last year, but got too late of a start...

@Oswegan, how did your recipe turn out last year? Wanting to get a clone of Jubelale going soon and wondering which of these recipes to use.

Like many of you guys on here, used to live in PDX and have great memories of this beer. No chance of getting in here in Alabama, so I'm going to brew my own.

I will be making a batch in the next month or so as well, so feedback from others is a good idea. I was at GABF this past week and met with the Wyeast people. They confirmed that the closest yeast to the Deschutes house yeast is the Ringwood Ale yeast. Now we have confirmation from an executive at Wyeast and the brewer at Deschutes.

Below is exactly what I received from Deschutes when I emailed them for a clone recipe. Clearly it's not a complete recipe, but it is from Deschutes Brewery directly. I would go with a clone recipe that adheres to these basics. I discovered the yeast strain after inquiring further about their vague "English Ale" description for the yeast.

Recipe type: All grain
Batch size: 5 U.S. gallons
Original gravity: 1.062-1.069
Final gravity: 1.017-1.022
Boil time: 90 minutes
Fermentation temp: 65° F
Yeast type: English Ale
Malt: Crystal Malt(s), Roasted Barley, Dextrin Malt
Hops: Cascade, Galena, E.K.G., Willamette
**Note**
Temps, times and weights are the challenge. Happy Brewing!

Bumping this thread as its that time of year again!

Just finished plugging this into Beersmith 2. I made an extract with steeping grains last year based on this thread. Here's what I'll be making this weekend. I never heard anyone's opinions on mash temp but 153* seems to put my FG in the ballpark according to their website. I LOVE Jubelale! I haven't seen it in the stores yet, but its gotta be getting close.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Jubelale AG
Brewer: Joe Oliver
Asst Brewer:
Style: Christmas/Winter Specialty Spice Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.23 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 24.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 67.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.4 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 81.8 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -150L (150.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.9 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 70/80L (75.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.5 %
2.4 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.1 %
1.6 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6 0.7 %
0.75 oz Galena [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 33.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 9.7 IBUs
0.75 oz Willamette [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 12.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 11.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.75 %] - Boil 0.0 Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.75 %] - Dry Hop 7 Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.75 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
5.50 gal Seattle, WA Water 1 -
1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [4.20 Yeast 12 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 4.60 gal of water at 164.0 F 153.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.41 gal water at 180.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did one last fall (also about to repeat it) and I felt like it was really close. Used one of the recipes in this thread I think with some adjustments/substitutions.

Hope yours turns out. I'm about ready for the winter beers.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 10.91 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.45 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 1.82 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.82 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 12.5 IBU
0.75 oz Galena [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.6 IBU
0.75 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Yeast-Ale

Nice, I took the big batch from the first page and re-scaled it. Then I tweaked it a little more to fit my system and to make it easier to order the grains instead of saying I need 1.6 pounds of Crystal 150.

Last years clone turned out pretty good, although it had a bit of extract flavor that didn't mellow until about my last 6-pack. I'm using a different yeast this time too. London III just because I have some washed and waiting in the fridge.

Any updates to this excellent beer. I'm enjoying one now while working on Business Law 201 homework and reading HBT.

I brewed this up a few weeks ago. I'm drinking it now, and actually am brewing another batch tomorrow. My recipe turned out tasting more like a Cascadian Dark Ale. Really hoppy without the roasted backbone that I tasted in this years Jubel. I've boosted the roasted barley and the cara pils on my recipe to get more roasted flavor, and a bit more body.

As for the commercial version. I think it tastes great! I'm not sure how stoked I am on the label though. It took me a second to see what I was looking at.

I brewed this up a few weeks ago. I'm drinking it now, and actually am brewing another batch tomorrow. My recipe turned out tasting more like a Cascadian Dark Ale. Really hoppy without the roasted backbone that I tasted in this years Jubel. I've boosted the roasted barley and the cara pils on my recipe to get more roasted flavor, and a bit more body.

As for the commercial version. I think it tastes great! I'm not sure how stoked I am on the label though. It took me a second to see what I was looking at.

I got my case at Costco today and am drinking it as I type. Definite strong roast flavor which stood out with The first sip. Great idea to boost the roasted barley & carapils. I am going to give this a shot during my next home brew session.

Has anyone done this with the Ringwood Ale yeast from Wyeast?

I recently had great outcomes with Ringwood for an Oatmeal Stout and have been looking for other places to use it. Thoughts on using it for something like the Jubelale?

I'll let you all know how the second batch turns out. Its in primary right now bubbling away. I'll dry hop this weekend hopefully.

I've never used Ringwood. Couldn't hurt to give it a try. If it tastes great then thats all that really matters.

I can never seem to remember from year to year how this beer changes. I definitely feel like the roasty flavor stands out more this year than I can think the others did.

Any updates on this? I am planning on brewing a Christmas ale this weekend, and I am trying to decide between this and making a jolly roger Christmas clone. How did this turn out?

Man, I guess it is about time to start thinking about winter brews. The last batch I made turned out tasting more like a CDA than what I think the Jubel tastes like. I know I missed my volumes and my efficiency wasn't where I thought so that may have had something to do with it. I'll definitely be making this soon so I can age it for a while.

I brewed the recipe from the brewery earlier this year and it came out awesome. Haven't had Jubel in a few years, so can't compare, but going from memory, seems decently close. Use Wyeast 1187 for fermentation.

Here's what I did last year, very close but not exactly what you see earlier in this thread. I wanted to use Wyeast 1187 but the smack pack was old and didn't start, went English with WLP013 London Ale instead.
I did a side by side comparison, mine had more roast and caramel flavors, and a note of dark fruit. Mine was a little smoother, much darker and had a bit of an oak profile probably from the yeast.

The Jubel had a bit of a tart/spicy thing going and also more light fruit notes that I think could be achieved with the WY 1187. The hop profile was pretty spot on, mine maybe had a little extra spicy/pine notes, but that might just be due to the freshness.

I'll brew it again. Less Crystal 120 and half the Roast Barley, not necessarily to get it exactly like the Jubel but closer. Might try the Ringwood yeast this time too.

2 Row - 12.5 lbs
Crystal 60 - .75 lbs
Crystal 120 - 1.5 lbs
Roast Barley - .25 lbs
Cara Pils - .25 lbs

Single Infusion - 155F

Cascade 60 0.50 oz 6.4% AA
Chinook 60 0.50 oz 11.8% AA
Willamette 60 1.00 oz 4.7% AA
Tettnanger 30 0.75 oz 3.9% AA
EKG 0 0.5 oz 6.1% AA
EKG 0 1 oz 6.1% AA
Cascade 0 0.5 oz 6.1% AA

WLP013 London Ale

OG 1.070
FG 1.020
IBU: 66

I think I am going to brew this on Friday, probably with ringwood, and another yeast. 10 gallon batch, two separate carrots and Yeasts. I might add a little red wheat, bu other than that no changes.I'll let you know how it comes out.

I made some changes to the version I brewed last year. I changed the hop schedule a little. I was getting too much hop, it was like a CDA. I'm going to try it with Ringwood yeast. Brewing Saturday, I'll keep updates.

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 83.9 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.7 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.2 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.6 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.6 %
0.75 oz Galena [12.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 28.6 IBUs
0.75 oz Willamette [5.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 11.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [8.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 13.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 11.7 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.70 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187) [124.21 ml] Yeast 13 -
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [8.90 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

Sweet. I've been watching for it but haven't seen it so far. Got a couple other winter warmers the other night though. This is my favorite season of the beer... I mean year. :D

I was happy to find it a couple weeks back. Only bought a 6 pack but I plan on buying at least a case or so before the end of the season so I can enjoy it a bit longer.

Looking forward to Widmer Brr as well.

Some vintage Jubelale labels

image-3653225654.jpg

BainbrideBrewer, how does this last batch you made taste? I'm really interested in copying your recipe. Just had my first taste of Jubelale this past Tuesday at a Deschutes Night here in San Diego. I thought it was really tasted and decided I wanted to try brewing it

BainbrideBrewer, how does this last batch you made taste? I'm really interested in copying your recipe. Just had my first taste of Jubelale this past Tuesday at a Deschutes Night here in San Diego. I thought it was really tasted and decided I wanted to try brewing it

I emailed the brewer with what I thought was really close after researching and he came back with a few small adjustments.

I will look it up when I get home and post it up here.

Here is what I got from Jimmy Seifrit at Deschutes

Some junk about XXI
now for the Jubeale stuff

I was thinking of making a Jubelale inspired beer for next year too. There is only one place that sells it here so I can't usually get enough :)

Anyways, what do you think of these numbers.

OG of 1069
sounds like you guys use some gypsum to bring up the CA, but also help to extenuate the hops on this beer. I believe you guys have pretty neutral water??? I have to dilute with RO or bottled water here.

82% 2-row
11% C 150
5% C80
1% cara-pils
< 1% roasted barley

galena,cascade and willamette at boil get get most of the IBUs maybe 48 even percentage for each hop
tettnang at 30 to get 10 more ibus
EKG at knockout
dry hop cascade and EKG

Mash low if using WLP002 to get 73-74% attenuation

Jimmy's reply

I would lower the target SG by a couple of points.

The malt bill is pretty well put together- well done.

I would recommend hitting the back end hopping with a lot of Tettnang 5 mins before KO. And then EKG at KO and dry hop. I would leave the Cascade out of the dry hop, the EKG- Tett combo drives the aromatics of the beer. Have a target IBU of 60.

Our water is very neutral in Bend. Resembles the water used in Germany coming out of the Alps.

Enjoy Jimmy

The latest batch tastes great. Its missing some body, but I had several issues during brew day. I missed my strike temp and mashed a little low. I miss read a bag of hops in the freezer so I had to substitute all the hot side Cascades with Amarillo. I still dry hopped with Cascade. The LBHS also didn't have Ringwood so I ended up just using normal Wyeast British Ale. This also might have helped dry it out. Either way it tastes great. Have fun! :tank:

I'm going insane. I still can't find it in stores around here! I went on a road trip but wasn't able to pick any up, but I saw it in almost every store I went into, but it's not out here! All the stores here are still stalking the summer Twilight Ale, but not the winter beer! :p

Seems like there are a billion cases of this in Portland right now. Floor stands, end stands, singles, 6 packs, cases, it never ends!

Back